Portrait in oil wanting some critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Portrait in oil wanting some critique

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Grandma’s portrait

Hej! I’d like some critique in this portrait. It’s probably the best I’ve done so far in therms of portraits, but I feel the lack of something. Don’t spare anything, show me all the possible errors and improvements, I’m eager to read it!

NicBritt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice portrait! for me i think the portrait could do with more contrast to make it “pop” a little more – and provide more definition. but this could just be the photo!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi NicBritt! Thanks for the touch. I feel a bit like you do too! I feel it is all to pale. I’ll certainly try with a bit more of contrast on next portaits!

Also, please click on the photo to open the good resolution image. This one showing is really low resolution. It’s not supposed to be THAT blurry haha

NicBritt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks that good to know! looking at the photo now, the eyes are quite contrasty (more than elsewhere) – I would remove some contrast from the cheek lines at the sides of the mouth slightly and darken the top lip and shadow line of the mouth. Perhaps even soften the contrast beneath the nose ever so slightly. OR it could be case of increasing contrast everywhere?? but I think definitely focus on the lips. cheers

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks a lot! The cheek lines now that you mention, are really a bit too strong, and give it a feeling of a marionette cheek. I think it could also use a bit more of contrast everywhere to match the eyes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.