Portrait Drawing for Beginners |Part 3: Rendering

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Portrait Drawing for Beginners |Part 3: Rendering

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this three-part series, Chris Legaspi covers everything you need to know about beginning portrait drawing, from start to finish. In this final lesson of the series, Chris goes over the last step in the portrait drawing process: rendering. Chris will do several demonstrations throughout the lesson, using a variety of different materials and stylistic approaches. Following the shorter demonstrations, you will have an assignment that will give you a chance to put these concepts into practice, and then have the ability to watch Chris’s version of the same assignment. The lesson will conclude with a three-hour charcoal demonstration of a male, allowing you to take in every step of Chris’s rendering process from start to finish.

Materials

• Sharpie Marker
    • Drawing Paper
    • Faber-Castell 9000 Pencil – 2B
    • Prismacolor Verithin Colored Pencil – Black
    • Prismacolor Colored Pencil – Black
    • Ballpoint Pen – Black
    • Willow Charcoal – Thick and Thin Sticks
    • General’s Charcoal Pencil – 2B
    • Hogs Hair Bristle Brushes – Round, Large and Small
    • Kneaded Eraser
    • Mars Staedtler Plastic Eraser
    • CarbOthello Pencil – Black
    • Conté Charcoal Pencil – 2B
    999999999z
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

CC is lost. What happen?

Cuff
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I feel like I’m completely missing a step! The last lesson we go from laying in shapes (big circles for the eye sockets, boxy noses, circular shapes for the lips) then suddenly this one we’re banging out fully rendered features. Almost feels like there needs to be a message in between this lesson and the last that basically says “Hey, go learn to how move past symbol drawing before going into this lesson.” I’m being shown how good rendering looks but I don’t feel like I’m being taught how to get there in this one. And I also think that’s being compounded by the demonstrations because they’re not even using the steps we learned in the last lesson. Like, I’m sure the instructor has them in mind when he’s crafting these renderings but they’re not being shown on the page so it’s hard to follow the logic.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Cuff.
    Claire Dickinson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It would be really helpful (and less frustrating) if the reference images were available with the course. I would like to draw along with the video, but the displayed photographs are just too small to use.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Claire, that’s not be design. My apologies. I’ve asked a team member to add those images ASAP.

Cuff, this is more of an accelerated overview of portrait drawing stages. For more of a comprehensive course on construction I recommned:

Constructive Head Drawing with Steve Huston

Renaissance Head Drawing with Glenn Vilppu

The Frank Reilly Illustration Drawing Method with Mark Westermoe

Or the Russian Drawing Course with Iliya Mirochnik

These courses deal with anatomy, construction, the features and are much longer and more in depth.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Claire, this has been fixed. The images have been added back!

https://www.nma.art/videolessons/portrait-drawing-for-beginners-part-3-rendering/

Yan Ho
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I can’t find the part 1 on new site. Seems like the lesson on new site jumps straight to part 3. How can I start with part 1 which I found only on old site

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Yan Ho, for issues with the new site, you can report bugs in the left panel, or you can email “info@nma.art” please try to be as detailed as possible and include screenshots and links

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.