Pencil Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Pencil Portrait

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Antonio
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Any feedback is appreciated!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Antonio. Reason: Image didn't upload last time; tried a smaller version
    NormanNorman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am just starting out with head drawing, so I just try to apply what I think I learned so far. First of all, great work and a very lovely portrait – I like the pose and the emphasis on the eyes, which create a good focus.

I think the picture could improve by some more construction (but maybe that s just because I take Steve’c head construction classes. The nose seems a little off and also the eyes (left eye a little big maybe?) Some outlines are a little hard, while you kept the shadows quite light. I think it could improve by getting boldeer in the shadows (and emphasising form) and having less “lines”. (e.g. around the mouth and on the left contour).

Hope to see more from you. Keep up the great work! Drawing is all about practice (I hope :-D)

Antonio
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Norman, that’s all super useful advice! I think what you said is spot-on; I’ve had a feeling that my shading is too light, but your point about my over-use of line is something I hadn’t even realized before. Those are definitely things I’ll focus on going forward, along with how to better show form.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Antonio, this is a lovely portrait. I like the pose and how you’ve made the drawing to suit her facial expression and figure.

I don’t think your shadows are too light necessarily, I actually think it’s quiet nice. The main thing to remember is that there is a clear separation between the light and the shadow side – your darkest light shouldn’t be as dark as your lightest darks. I think that for the softness and kind of mood you were going for here, having too much contrast between the light and shadow side would take away from this. It ultimately depends how you want your image to look like and what you want to say with it.

I like using Mark Westermoe’s shading approach for studies like these. The shading direction across the image is generally in the same direction and consistent. This helps to create a “cleaner” and coherent image. You can add some variation in areas you want to bring focus to, but by being selective in your choices, it will help direct the viewers eye, and display a good sense of draftsmanship.

Overall construction is always beneficial. Using comparative measurement helps with determining the size differences of facial features relative to each other.

Keep drawing! 🙂

Antonio
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Josseline! That’s really helpful as well!

That’s a good point about the shadows. The issue is probably not the absolute value of the shadows, but the relative value (compared to the halftones). And I’ll have to try out Westermoe’s shading technique; it sounds quite useful.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re welcome 🙂

Yes that’s right! There can be directional variation over the broad areas of the to help emphasize the plane direction, but within a specific area, it makes for a cleaner image to minimise it.

Yeah I like his approach to head drawing 🙂 I actually began rewatching some of his videos yesterday.

Keep drawing! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.