Pencil Portrait of Mather 9×12

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Pencil Portrait of Mather 9×12

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m alternating watching videos and doing assignments with completing longer portrait studies to consolidate what I’ve learned. I’ve been following the Russian Academic Drawing Course and Steve Huston’s Constructive Head Drawing, and I just started the Russian Approach to Drapery Course. I’d like to start combining fabric and pattern with portrait drawing. I tend to get very engrossed in rendering, and I like to finish every detail which I’ve learned is not necessarily the best way to direct the eye. Any advice is appreciated!Mather-11_final

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jan I really like this one the whole thing is really richly textured the head is very convincing and really has weight  your zest for rendering is subdued and has worked really well on this piece ,but I agree when everything is rendered to a 10 the eye does not no where to look there is no contrast  looking forward to seeing more your doing a lot of courses well done .

Tim

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Jan, I would pick out you main focus of the eyes and push your darks further (pupil, eyelash masses, subtle cast shadow from the upper lid, nose opening). From there, pick out a few highlights to bring out (eye).

Beautiful portrait overall!

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Tim and Marcolino, for the feedback! I appreciate the suggestions and the kind words. I was glad to hear that the head seems solid. The anatomy studies seem to be helping me draw with a more three-dimensional feel. It was a struggle at first, though, to start with the structure and not jump right to the “decorations” as Steve Huston says. The recommendation to push the darks further especially in the eye area makes sense. Knocking down an area or creating a “pop” by making some areas less important is something that the NMA instructors talk about to help a drawing read better. I just hope I did the model justice!

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is one of the process photos I took. As I look back now, I wonder if the drawing would have been better if I had stopped here. I see so many master drawings that leave areas unfinished, but I feel like I have difficulty judging when a piece is finished and how to find a balance between “sketchy” and too much detail.Process Photo Mather-11

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jan

very interesting great great idea to do progress photos  I like them equally but prefer the reduction of tone around the chin in the final piece .

What was the source for this portrait ?

I am doing the head drawing course ( Steve Huston)

,just started .all the dimensions are frazzeling  my brain .

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Tim! I appreciate the input! It’s really helpful. As far as taking photos of works in progress, I’ve found it to be very useful. It gives me a different view similar to looking at a piece in the mirror. It also makes distortions or composition issues easier to see. In answer to your question, the reference I used was from the NMA Image Library which is a fantastic resource!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jan  will check out the library   your right about a photograph showing up proportion etc maybe because it’s similar to standing back  I must try your mirror technique .

I am just doing my first portraits not as easy as apples ! it makes me really admire your skill .

Kind regards

Tim

Meije DrawingMeije Drawing
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very nice jan! I just start the courses, doing the same you do, alterning theorical anatomy videos and some sketching and general drawing for fun.

This model is just spectacular, have you see her nose…. And eyes are so expressive. If you are doing other portraits of her, just tag Mather so I could check.

Thanks

Natalie Clevenger
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is really great work. The dark details in the shirt keep competing for my attention. The sweep of the braid leads to the shirt as well and I think that draws attention away from her eyes too much. You could possibly try to push the values in her face a little darker if that bugs you. Beautiful portrait!

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Great work,liked more the first one.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much, Tim, Meije, Natalie and Srsanyal for the kind comments and feedback! I’ve learned so much from both the NMA instructors and from other NMA participants. I’m excited to start on another portrait and will take all of the suggestions to heart. I’ve been working the past couple of weeks on a drawing for the November Self-Portrait Challenge on Discord. Working while looking in a mirror might be the hardest thing I’ve ever done. It forced me to condense in a way that working from photographs, which is what I usually use as a reference, does not. The piece I submitted is definitely not my best drawing, but hopefully I took another step forward in my learning process!

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Love this! They are both wonderful but I do like the first one. I really do like the detail on her attire and the lighter tones to her. I think it balances out with the dark attire. But I also like the darkened tones on the second one and they work well with the whiter attire. Both great!

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks good Jan, so much improvement compared to your first posts!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.