Patterned object – first attempt

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Patterned object – first attempt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andri Engelbrecht
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My first time painting a patterned object – blue and white pitcher

“Pour-over Pitcher”

Oil on linen canvas

10 x 12Pitcher

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Adri, Pretty good job, clear distinction of light and shadow despite the patterns on top of the form specially the handle , really looks square

Other than that i don’t know what to say, are you looking for  feedback at any specific topic?

Caleb CampbellCaleb Campbell
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great job, I love the distinct brush strokes and not going crazy with blending everything into a blob.

The perspective looks a bit off. The top rim of the pitcher suggests it is below eye level quite a bit, yet the curve of the thinnest part of the pitcher is almost flat, suggesting it is near eye level. It should be even more curved than rim since it is lower.

I will assume the rim is the correct curve and adjust everything else relative to that: the “waist” of the jar should be curved even more than the rim (imagining the rim as an ellipse) since it’s even lower, and the base even more than the waist.  You can imagine a cylinder below you. The ellipse of the top can be drawn all the way down to the base, but it will not be exactly the same, it will get more and more circular/curved the farther down it is (thinner left-right, thicker up-down). Now just pinch and stretch that cylinder into the shape of your pitcher and that is how the sketch should look. The sizes of the ellipses will be different but the flatness or circularness will mirror that of the plain cylinder in its place. Those ellipses follow the contours of each line around the shape: The rim, the waist, and the base. You’ll of course have to alter the rim to fit the true shape made for pouring, but starting with an ellipse will help greatly.

I think fixing the perspective will greatly improve this artwork! I quite like your brushstrokes and use of color, not qualified to critique you there

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.