Patrick Stewart

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Patrick Stewart

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I worked up this conte crayon drawing of Patrick Stewart.  I think it is pretty close to accurate.  Looking for suggestions on how to make it better.  This is not done with a grid or projection, but with some measuring and angle observations to try to match the eyes, nose mouth and contours.  thanks for any thoughts

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Gary

TNG is one of my favourite series and Patrick Stewart surely is one of the  most handsome actors in cinema – least I think so! The likeness is definitely there.

I think watching your edges would be useful. Consider the type of form/plane changes/value you’re working with to control your edges appropriately. For example, more angular forms = harder edge; more rounded forms = softer edge. The shadow side suggests form whilst the light describes form. Hard edges can be too descriptive for the shadow side. The light side is more descriptive.

Remember what is dark isn’t necessarily in the shadows. Your darkest lights shouldn’t be as dark as your lightest darks.

Focus on form before texture.

These are all things I need to work on, among, well everything for portrait drawing.

Keep up the practice!

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the feedback, very useful.  The reference has multiple light sources, making it very tricky in regards to light and shadow, and conte is rather unforgiving.  That’s enough for my excuses.  More angular forms = harder edge; more rounded forms = softer edge, that’s a very good way to put it.  Special thanks for that.   “Your darkest lights shouldn’t be as dark as your lightest darks”  I think the problem there might result from there being multiple light sources (you can see that most readily on the top of the head), either that or I really do not understand how to apply this principle in this situation.

As for appearance, the way I have rendered him is a bit more of a, what, benevolent? expression.  The reference communicates more of a skeptical look.  Somewhere in these forms or in the proportions is not quite a match for the reference.  I think it would be more Patrick Stewart like if I could capture that friendly skepticism he communicated.

Onward and upward!

Gary

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Multiple light sources and Conte are both tricky to work with! I have to repeat myself over and over such things as I wrote above, and I still make mistakes. There is only so much we can focus on at any given time. I think that is one of the biggest challenges- to be very deliberate. No worries! I think it is trying to not allow our brains to tell us what we are seeing, but learning to shut it out and focus on seeing what is actually there. Our brain is so use to assuming the fact, as it is easier day by day to see the world as “things are like this on average” – it would be outstandingly impractical to observe everything in our visual field the same way we aim to do when we sit down to draw something. But because we’ve spent a lot more time seeing to nagivate the world, rather than seeing draw the world, we default to what we’ve practiced most – that’s part of what makes drawing challenging! The simultaneous training and untraining of the brain that has to occur.

I think though there would be multiple light sources, there should still be a net average of a light and shadow side. Even an object with a single light source will still receive light from any of surrounding object/s or surface/s. Think of the basic sphere on a flat surface. The flat surface will reflect onto the underside of the sphere, lighting it to create the reflected light area. That area is in the shadow. It will be lighter than the core shadow, but still darker than the darkest lights. The wall will reflect onto the sphere, and so on.

Have you done Mark Westermoe’s section in the Beginning Head Drawing course? He helped me to grasp a lot of these concepts. He has a structured and methodological approach to drawing, which I found great for learning.

As for getting the expression right, have a look at Charles Hu and Westermoe’s sections on expressions in the same course. Charles emphasizes pushing the expressive gestures, finding the longer lines of gesture rather than just zoning in on one specific feature/area, the pull and drags of facial features. Westermoe has you understand the musculature that contribute to the expression to be able to better see the effects on surface anatomy – skin and features – to draw them more effectively.

Indeed!

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It’s been quite a while since I did these courses.  I mostly paint.  (I posted one painting but no one commented on it).  I do not project or grid so I need to draw so I get plenty of practice, which is why I am no longer 20% good but getting closer to 50%.

I follow your thoughts ( think though there would be multiple light sources, there should still be a net average of a light and shadow side. Even an object with a single light source will still receive light from any of surrounding object/s or surface/s. Think of the basic sphere on a flat surface. The flat surface will reflect onto the underside of the sphere, lighting it to create the reflected light area. That area is in the shadow. It will be lighter than the core shadow, but still darker than the darkest lights. The wall will reflect onto the sphere, and so on.)  I do try to follow this.  I made some minor adjustments to the tones.  Might help some.

I also moved the left eye down a bit, and got the left ear closer to the right dimensions.  I’d already moved the mouth up a bit.

thanks again for your comments.

gary

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ahk. I finished that course last December, finding I need to go over all the concepts again to see where I am at and what I need to work on.

Did you post the painting recently? I’ll have a look for it.

I began learning to draw so I could paint better. At heart I am definitely more a painter than a draftsman. But drawing is the foundation of a good painting, so plenty of drawing we must.

I’ve never projected or used a grid for my paintings – did you find it helped with the construction? though did it tighten up your painting?

Oh yes, I do too. We try as best we can. Assess and evaluate at the end, and try try again.

The eyes do look better placed within the facial structure you’ve created. I think moving it has de-emphasized the head tilt, which isn’t bad if you wanted to make the overall gesture more subtle. The tone does look better.

You’re welcome 🙂

Josseline

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I used a grid for a while about 8 years ago or so.  I did not find it to be that easy to do.  I have never projected.  I would imagine it would be the easiest way to get the various parts where they belong.  If you want to churn out portraits it would be the way to go.  I work on models (well not right now) often when I am in Spain.  Twice a month at my studio with other artists splitting the costs, and other nights with other groups, once a week in all.  Then there is Croquis Cafe.  Live videoed models.  Hard to find and they do get some.

You are good at critiquing.  I am not so good although I can help sometimes.

gary

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Made some additional changes and additions.  Great challenge and kept me off the streets during the pandemic!  It looks better in person I think.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great! Keep chipping away. I would say to soften the forehead wrinkles a bit. Or add some values to make it clearer that there is depth there. that the wrinkles aren’t sitting on top of the skin but rather indentations so to speak of it.

Yours and others head drawings have inspired me to get back into my own head studies! I’ve done very little this year. It’ll be good to get back into it. Another thing to add to the list of the numerous things I’m working on to keep me as busy as possible at home

Keep drawing!

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Softening those wrinkles is a good idea. In person they are perhaps less sharp than in the photos.  Very thin lines.  A rounded kneeded eraser should help.  Have fun!!!!

gary

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Will do and same to you.

Onwards and upwards!

garyartista
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I do not see a way to search for individual posts. I posted a few days ago.   However here is the url  http://garyjkirkpatrick.com/a-bakery-in-petxina/

http://garyjkirkpatrick.com/a-bakery-in-petxina/

I am in Spain so 6 hours of eastern time.

g

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.