Painting Using the Rub Out Technique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Painting Using the Rub Out Technique

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Steve Huston will cover the Rub out technique using a brown school palette from a painting by Frank Duveneck on white canvas. You will learn how light can affect the tone of the painting and how to add and subtract light within the Brown School palette by adding and taking away paint.

Materials

• Gamblin Artist Grade Oil Colors
    • Simply Simmons Paintbrush
    • Canvas Panel
    sambraithwaitesambraithwaite
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What was the way to spell the name of the artist that did all Rub Out technique? It’s mentioned in Chapter 12 video 3.

Lale Karayaka
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! I couldn`t catch the name of the red tone on video 7. Could anyone let me know what tone of red he uses?

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Did you try enabled Closed Captions? Often that’s the best way to catch the spelling. If not, I can look into this for you.

Aaron Ellis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Are you using straight solvent to dilute the background?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Aaron Ellis.
    Maximilian Koch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey i really dont understand it.. he says your paint for the rub out technique has to be completly transparent? means i cant use my burnt sienna thats semi transparent for that ?

Maximilian Koch
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

in the lesson before for the rub out technique steve says you can use whatever color you want. And he didnt use solvent for the first layer auf color on the canvas. Now he uses much solvent and only transparent color without saying a word ?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Maximilian,
    I reached out to our education team and they say this
    “we are working on a reformatted version of the course that will have a downloadable materials list that they can use you gather all the materials needed for the course before hand.”
    “To answer the  student’s question on the Rub Out technique. What Steve meant by “completely transparent” is that the color shouldn’t have any white mixed into it. He also said “the paint you buy, the earth tones you paint from
    that come out of the tube that you get from Windsor Newton or Gamblin – are fine.” As so students can feel free to use the burnt sienna they own. Sometimes artists would use more vibrant colors to tone the canvas but we don’t recommend it to beginner or intermediate levels. Since it’s harder to judge the values if they are overwhelmed by the intensity of the chroma ”
    “n term of solvent,  we will work on improving the footage to be more consistent between the 2 lessons. however, you can feel free to experiment with adding or not adding solvent while toning the canvas. Both have their benefits. While a dry surface might be more sticky and easier to control when they do the rub out, a wetter surface can be more fluid when it comes to rendering the forms”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.