Oil portrait of my wife nursing my son

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Oil portrait of my wife nursing my son

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alon MartsianoAlon Martsiano
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi,

This is a portrait of wonderful moment I caught with my camera and thought was well worth painting.

painted in oils on a birch wood panel. I’ve added the original reference photo I was working from.

Would love to hear your comments/critique

Thank you!

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What an incredibly beautiful and stirring painting. I think this is your best work yet. I can’t imagine anything I would change. It seems perfect. I have to believe this will be a family treasure. Your wife must absolutely love it!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much Jan! always a pleasure to read your comments…  And my wife does like the painting a lot 🙂

aidanchavasse1
    Participant
    No points.

Wow! That’s great!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Alon

Your skill in painting is obviously good and I really admire your work , my critique would be the subject

Subjectively the  mother seems to be turning away from the child causing a tension

Which for me the beautiful colours and painting  can’t overcome some of it may be the tension in the neck .

Kind regards

Tim

Lewis BellLewis Bell
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gorgeous picture. Lovely sense of light and warmth. Nice simplification of the background, and I love the soft reds in her hair. Good stuff!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the comments and critique. ttwarner, I was there and took the reference photo myself, it was a very calm, even somewhat “dreamy” moment as she was looking out the window, there was no tension of any kind there. But I guess sometimes that’s the beauty in art, one painting can mean one thing to a certain person and the complete opposite to another.

Thank you for your kind words Lewis!

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes it’s very subjective it’s a beautiful painting

Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.