Oil portrait of my daughter

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Oil portrait of my daughter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I have a love/hate relationship with oils. So, I am doing them on a regular basis to get more comfortable with them. Here is one I did of my daughter and a couple of the processes that took me to my finished. I’m a total work in process so any critique anywhere I post is gratefully accepted. Thank you!!

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Carlise, beautiful work so far. There are many things working. The first thing I would work on this value composition. I would like to see more contrast, more unified darks and a brighter fabric so it separates from her skin and becomes its own value shape mass. As for the drawing, I made some subtle adjustments to the eyebrows to unify them, the lips to align them and overall plane definition and also more contrast. Hope that helps.

crit carlise

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Chris, thank you so much for taking the time to help me! This was my very first portrait in oil. I’ve done mostly sea/landscapes and birds. I was scared to do this and so glad I put it up for critique. I’m writing down all your notes and taking them into my next oil. The changes you made totally make sense and I appreciate your expertise. Can’t wait to try another portrait! My blessings to you!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.