Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Finished Work Oil painting Master studies

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey all,

I wanted to share the oil master studies I’ve made over the past 6 months. In sharing these I’m wanting to remind myself the value in doing them – you learn SO much! and to push myself to schedule doing one probably at least once a month.

Have you all made master studies? Share some if you have 🙂

* Head study of Hugh Ramsay – A mountain shepherd (An Italian dwarf). Hugh Ramsay is an Australian classical/academic realist from the last 19th to early 20th Century. Absolutely brilliant. Passed away far too young. IF you like Sargent’s work, you’ll likely enjoy Ramsay.

*Edvard Munch – Girls on the Bridge. There’s something about Munch’s work that speaks to my soul. Though I find myself preferring realism more, there is always room in my heart for expressionists.

* Francis Bacon – one of his works from his Three Studies of Lucian Freud triptych. I like his work for his development of a personal artistic expression that was distinct from much of his contemporaries. His exploration of abstract space ans simple shapes I like.

*John Singer Sargent – Head of an Arab. This was my first oil master study. Made with the assistance of a tutorial y John Howard Sanden. This taught me a lot about restraint in paint application, to apply and resist the urge to blend, though it’s something I still struggle with at times. And about taking more time with mixing colours on the palette before applying it onto the canvas.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.