New Iliya Mirochnik Critique Video LIVESTREAM

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique New Iliya Mirochnik Critique Video LIVESTREAM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

The stream begins at 2pm PDT. I will be attending as a live chat. Critiques are for: @l2-diamante, @rachelatkins, @caseydwyer, @albertofuenzalida, @paolo_fabregas, @ebfranc8, @annekebythesea, @robertjoyner

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This was great! I love his critiques of paintings in particular, mostly because that’s my main jam. I particularly took from the last painting the importance of having an overall focus of the image to help clarify the message i.e. on value, or chroma, etc.

Joshua- I just tried to upload a new thread in the finished work section, but the thread was put into pending moderation. Would it be possible to amend that?

Cheers.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve also had a pending moderation issue with a thread I just posted on the Artists You Should Know section. Apologies for the bother. Thank you in advance for amending the threads.

Rachel Atkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so so much for the critique. I really didn’t know what kind of response this painting would get, so to hear your feedback was just awesome. You really understood my intent, which made me think that, maybe, just maybe, what I am trying to express may actually be working!!! Your suggestions were very helpful and I feel brave enough to dive back into it now and move it along a bit more. As a beginner at this, the opportunity to have work critiqued is just so amazing and helpful. Thanks again.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Rachel, I was watching the live stream and when your painting came up I smiled! So happy you got this critique. Your work is great. Keep growing and pushing yourself further! 🙂

Rachel Atkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Josseline, I’m so motivated now!!! I feel like I can give myself permission to keep carving out time for painting. I hope you are going to post some more work, I’d love to see what else you are working on. Thanks for your support 😁😁

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes indeed you should! Are you currently working on any new oil paintings?

Do you do much drawing as well? How do you balance the time between the two? I find I get sucked into one or the other, and focus most of my day or week just on one.

I am currently working on a larger figure painting. I’m close to finishing the main work for it, but I’m thinking I may push myself to develop it further by adding further specifics on the skin. I’ve almost exclusively worked in single layers, but I want to see what I can do with this painting. I am also having difficulty working out what I want to do with the background. Once I finish the main work, I’ll be posting it on here to get some feedback to see what I could improve on it.

I also started a new still life a few days ago.

I have a large but simple night sky landscape of sorts in the works. I was fighting with it so I’ve left it aside for some time so that I don’t completely give up on it. I’ll return to it when I feel it is more of the right time and mind space to do so.

No worries 🙂

Rachel Atkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sounds like you have a great spread of work, I’m a bit the same, I’ll do a landscape, then figure drawing, then still life. I think it helps to focus on different skills from different perspectives. I actually paint in acrylics 😬, I’d love to use oil paint, but with little kids and minimal space and time, it’s just not doable at the mo. Something to look forward to though!!

Id love to see your night scene when you are ready with it, I’m really interested in them, I think because I paint at night, it’s the lighting I look at most.
    I usually draw when I don’t have much time, so if it’s a rough night with the kids, I’ll just sketch so I can pack it away easily. I’ll only paint when I can get a two hour block, otherwise it’s just too frustrating. But I find drawing really informs my paintings and I usually do a painting from a sketch I like.
    I’m working on another bushy/gum tree landscape , which has been burnt by bushfire. The colours are pretty intense, so I’m kinda sitting and thinking on it a little.
    Looking forward to seeing your next work. 😀

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes indeed. You learn and apply those things to each domain of study. Oh! My mistake for assuming. Your work has a wonderful softer more gentle quality to it that isn’t common in acrylics. The first time I ever painted was with acrylics. By painted I mean with zero art training or experience, so I just mixed colours and applied them onto paper 😂 it was for therapy. Ended up falling in love with it and now I’m here 🙂 Have you tried water mixable oil paints? That was my first entry into oils. They aren’t as good as good quality oil paints but you get a similiar texture, workability and more slower drying time compared to acrylics. You’re doing amazing for having kids and still pursuing your art 🙂 I work in half of a small room but I’ve made it my own little space and it works 🙂 There are two wall shelves which are handy to store things on. I have a small table easel that I used to use until I got a larger standing one. Don’t have the most space to move with it in the “studio” but it’s nice to be able to paint standing. I prefer it over sitting. I bought a cheap large plastic back coated canvas sheet from a local hardware store to cover my carpet.

Ooo that painting has me stuck. I am using a photo reference which I liked for the simplistic mood it evokes. It’s simply a gradated flat plained sky with purple tones with some trees at the bottom which are mostly black. I wanted to try create more depth in the image than what the photo reference provides but I’m not sure how. Trying to think how to solve the problem. I use to paint a lot at night. I had a many nights staying up WAY too late doing so. Yeah painting in less than an two doesn’t feel satisfying. I did a few single eye studies at the beginning of this year that took about an hour or so. Those were good because they felt complete. I used Fredrix preprimed canvas pads. I clamped it onto a drawing board on my easel. I like those sheets. They are very convenient and I find the quality reasonably good. The primed layer doesn’t sink in the oils anywhere near as much as cheaper canvas panels. I’m starting to add an extra layer or two of primer/gesso to cheaper primed canvases to see if it helps with that. Oh and I put my brushes and palette in the freezer when I don’t have the time to clean. It allows me to keep working on the same painting with the same brushes and palette. Less cleaning and better for the brushes too.

I don’t sketch as often as I should. I must have when I was very young developed some sort of fear with drawing. I have no problem at all starting a new painting, but with drawing, every time I feel so uncomfortable starting, but I push myself to overcome those barriers. I know that to become a better painter I need to be a good draftsman, and that is one aspect that helps carry me through. Also because there is something very intimate about sketching and every time I finish any sketching, I feel content.

… bushy/gum landscape… burnt by bushfire… are you Australian?! I am so all those words make me think of my home. Intense colours excite me! Looking forward to seeing it.

Oh, I posted a couple master studies in the finished work section on here. Since it’s not my own personal work I wasn’t looking for critique necessarily, but I thought it be nice to share. And hoping that others may share some of theirs too 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.