Need advice @ Sculpting Aperture

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Need advice @ Sculpting Aperture

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Need help with armature infoHi,
    I could use some help from a more
    experienced sculptor. I’m using a sculpting aperture for the first time and am afraid that when I try to remove it, the whole thing will fall apart. It’s 20 inches long and I’m trying a ballet pose. Still have a lot of work to do on the piece, but am trying to prepare for what’s ahead.

Thanks,
    Beth Barnard

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Beth,

I’m not a sculptor in any traditional sense but I have some experience with it, have taught it, and teach a form of drawing that most sculptors are interested in. Plus I know a lot of them and have a grasp of the theory if not always the practice. So I take it that this is the first time you’re using an armature, and are thinking of removing it. This is interesting because generally, the armature is not removed at all. In some instances I have seen pieces cut apart, the armature removed, and then the clay hollowed out and reassembled, but for this the pieces need to be a bit more “monolithic.” As in, they need to hold together a little more around a central axis, having individual wires for the arms and legs can become problematic, if not impossible.

In most cases when an armature is used, it’s to hold those flailing parts like arms, legs, fingers, cloth, etc. So what happens is this:

1. A mold is made of the finished sculpture in either resin, plaster, or some other material.

2. The mold is removed and the orignal clay sculpture is destroyed.

3. The armature is reused.

4. A plaster, plastic, bronze, etc, sculpture is made by being poured into the mold many times over

I hope this helps. But please write any more questions you might have and either I or another New Master’s instructor will help you get everything answered.

Best Regards,

Iliya

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Iliya,

Thanks so much! I can’t believe I didn’t even use the correct name for an armature, lol. So it sounds like for this intricate of a piece, I’ll have to watch Matt Lewis’ videos on mold making. Guess I’d better do that pretty quickly, before my clay dries.

Thanks again for the swift feedback. I really appreciate it and I’ll also keep an eye out for your drawing classes.

Best,

Beth

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.