My first value scale. Feedback needed 👋.

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique My first value scale. Feedback needed 👋.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    InkhaurtInkhaurt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone!

My first value scale. Took me 6 hours, 11 minutes, and 18 seconds to finish this. Phew! Done in Procreate on the iPad Pro 12.9. Undo/Redo disabled. Shaded and hatched with a digital General’s charcoal pencil and a digital kneaded eraser. Slowly grained in a single direction stroke on 1 layer. First 3 value scale is horizontally grained. Second 5 value scale is diagonally grained. Third 5 value scale in sanguine is horizontally grained.

Note that this is “Uncalibrated” and bootstrapped as Joshua Jacobo would put it, because today I’m going to hatch a shadow scale to finally compare and see where I did right and wrong. Until then, I would love to get a feedback the pros or anyone with an eye for value.

InkhaurtInkhaurt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Updated and calibrated value scale.

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Inkhaurt , Thanks for the very detailed explanation of your process here.

I would suggest you not spend more than an hour on these exercises but rather do a series of them, 10 repetitions of value scales for example,  remembering to squint so we check our values and we can look for errors.  By repeating multiples times we develop that muscle memory of following the technique.

All the best Carlos perez

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.