Looking to improve – temperature / lighting

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Looking to improve – temperature / lighting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jesse SchilperoortJesse Schilperoort
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi guys,

First off, I just wanted to say huge respect to NMA – I’ve learned so much from your subscription videos, all the talent here and love what you guys are doing for the community!

I created this drawing and decided to see how far I could push the colors, lighting, and palette range. I was really inspired by some of Steve’s limited palettes. Anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

Jesse Schilperoort

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jesse

This is a lovely figure painting, great atmosphere and subtle yet captivating gesture. Nice job in working with your colour temperatures and complimentaries. It looks pleasing that warms the focus by pushing their chroma a bit more and making the cools more subtle by making most of the blues pull more neutral. Going for the scheme you are here, I would say try keeping the consistency with where you use your temperatures. There are some areas that you’ve used your warm orange tones in the shadows and others in the lights. Given this image, it looks like a cooler lighting set up you have here, because of the very cool lights and highlights.  it would make better sense to have the warms in your shadows and the coolers in the lights. But you can always keep the setup you have here and suggest a warmer light source to allow for the focus on the warm oranges and the more less chromatic to neutral blues.  your blues around the knees here do appear to pull on the warmer side of blue, more towards violet, which I think is nice for this image, creates less of a complimentary contrast (warm warm and warm blue vs. warm warm and cool cool) I think keeping with that could be good. Again depends on what you want to say with this image.

Experiment with pushing your colours further, to see the effects. Experiment with variations in hue, saturation/chroma, temperature and complimentary colours. Have each study focus on one element of colour to make it easier to understand the effects. If you’re enjoying colour, you should consider doing Perkin’s Colour bootcamp course – it is brilliant. He works with a fully saturated palette, so it’ll be different to what you’re using, but all the theory, demonstrations and exercises he has you learn and do are fantastic.

Are you planning to do the 100 day challenge here?

Jesse SchilperoortJesse Schilperoort
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi @josselinejeria

Thank you for the thoughtful comments! I agree with what you wrote & getting my head around cool lights / warm shadows is a tough one ahah. It’s kind of a new territory for me – I’ve always approached it the other way around and I kind of did a bit of both as you mentioned. I think making a decision early on and committing to it will definitely help. I was trying to incorporate some reflected / bounced light in those really chromatic areas and didn’t want to spread the focus too far outside of that. You’ve given me some things to think about.

More color experiments are definitely on my list – I have not watched Perkin’s colour bootcamp, but I really want to now. Thanks for the reminder! So much to learn ahah. I just discovered the 100 day challenge – it sounds great. I need to come up with something manageable that’s not too ambitious, but still poses a challenge. How about yourself?

Cheers,

JS

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re welcome 🙂 it is challenging. I think especially once you get into the territory of not just understanding hues generally as warm or cool, but separating each hue into it’s warm and cool side as well. Doesn’t help that there is conflicting information as there are different approach and understandings to the colour wheel/spectrum. I think it’s most important to keep what you wish to communicate consistent. If that’s there the image will read very well.

Yeah it certainly will. It can be tricky as we can get caught up in all the specific variations we see when we observe and get a bit overwhelmed with it all – I do all the time . But by having a plan before starting will help organise all the information you see.

Oh gosh, so much on here! It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and overcommit. I have to try hard to pull back and focus, but I still find myself watching videos here and there from various courses, must stop doing this!

I’ve set a simple but challenging enough one for myself – 2 pages of sketching every day. I’m not consistent with my sketchbook use so I want to use this challnege to get myself into using it on a daily basis. I’ve not set any specific subject matter, mediums, studies etc. I just need to do something on two pages. I even do line and basic shapes, doodling. I figure any practice counts. I’m early stages with drawing too so everything counts.

Let us know if you decide to join.

Cheers 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.