Landscape with bamboo and cotton paper charcoal

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Landscape with bamboo and cotton paper charcoal

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    andresclements
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I tried my hand at making charcoal last week. Apart from trying different timbers, I also made charcoal from various paper stocks, by essentially making blending stumps and then giving them the charcoal making treatment. Here the drawing was initially drawn with charcoal made from the same paper as the drawing is on, Conqueror Bamboo Crema 250 gsm. The paper is tinted with ochre pigment during manufacture, the hue of which seems to have endured into the resulting charcoal. It reminds of burnt umber but slightly lighter.

Towards the final stages, I switched to charcoal made from a roll of bright white archival cotton rag paper, much darker and a more neutral black. Partly to get darker darks but the sepia-ish colour was feeling too nostalgic. I might still touch it here and there but am quite happy with it, especially as it was as much just an experiment to try out the experimental charcoal as anything else.

Oh, I also used sandpaper extensively resulting in scratches and some gradations which almost looks like an etching and holds quite a bit of drama up close, which I think counterpoints the simplicity, even placidity, of the overall composition. A bit passive-aggressive that may be, but then maybe that resonates somewhat with the orientation of the sign – and most of my work seems to be a bit scratchy in one way or another.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.