Jessica’s 100 Day Art Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jessica’s 100 Day Art Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Hi everyone!

My goal is to work with oil paint for 100 days, doing still life. I begin with the painting tutorial from Beginning Oil Painting with Charles Hu in black and white.

Still life seems like it will give me enough flexibility and structured painting to keep me entertained.

I want to have a more consistent art practice. & I want to improve my values and ability to paint realistically.

All feedback is welcomed! Thank you NMA, without this platform I’d still be confused and unsure of how to improve. I’m grateful to be part of such an impressive community <3

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Still life lay-in from Charles Hu’s Oil Painting for Beginners

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2: Blocking in shadow shapes/darkest darks

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Today I added lights by removing paint with gamsol using paper towel/paint brush

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day 4- it feels really good to be taking this seriously and to be gaining momentum.  It usually feels so difficult for me to draw or paint every single day even though I love it.. I usually think about doing it and somehow avoid it by doing other tasks.

I’m also enjoying the consistent action everyday no matter how small.

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day 5- Please tell me your feedback regarding values/anything else. It feels like I may get stuck or that my brushstrokes are becoming unsure. I’ll work on the values of the vase similar to painting a sphere.. and the teeth 🙂

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Jessica… It’s nice to see some new painters in the challenge! I think this is a nice start.

I’m really liking the chalice, book, and fruit.

I think that the shadow edges in the vase could be softened and rounded more to imply a matte finish on the object in contrast to the shiny chalice (even if it’s metallic in real life).

You may want to restore some of the detail in the zygomatic region and the temporal region of the skull by exaggerating contrasts between overlapping elements.

The flower coming from the vase seems implied – which is interesting – but I think you could do more with it.

Perhaps most importantly, there is a distinct temperature difference between your warm underpainting and your cooler areas of accumulation… and there is a consequence to that condition… you may want to consider warming up your gray where it’s advantageous.

one other thing… surfaces that are curling back in space (round or cylindrical objects like your cranium or vase) will have softer/blurrier edges than flat objects (the flat face of your apple)… so expressing those contrasting conditions should help.

Keep up the nice work and good luck with your challenge!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Ian Coltman.
    Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Jessica,

I like the painting set-up and I like the manner in which you are approaching it. I do think that the values are becoming a little convoluted so I made a draw-over where I kind of took a few steps back, minimized the highlights, kept the objects divided into simple light and shadow values and made sure that there are no repetitions in values. It’s extremely important to put in the table plane and make sure the background is relatively flat but with a gradient going from light to dark from the left side to the right. That gradient could be preserved on all elongated planes, because it’ll further emphasize their fact that the light is coming from the left side.

All the other details will fall into place if you take these few steps back to “regroup.”

Keep up the good work and I’d love to see where you take this.

Iliya

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

I mustered up the energy to paint some of the table.. honestly I need to get painting early rather than later. I want to finish this soon, I don’t want to drag this out as it’s a study..

I received such wonderful feedback from Ian and Iliya that I truly appreciate so much. I will respond to both of your messages asap, thanks for your great advice.

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey Jessica,

it’s really cool to see your work from start to finish

keep doing your thing, looks great

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day 8

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day9

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10

Jessica Carbajal
    Participant
    No points.

Day 11 Ok this is as much time as I want to spend on this! I think I’m done here so I can move on and continue learning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.