Jerry in the Mountains

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Start Here: Introduce Yourself! Jerry in the Mountains

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Spivak
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello fellow art students,

I am writing to you from Mammoth Lakes in central California- a windy little ski resort town.  I have been sketching figures and animals on and off for the last several months, and a little over a month ago I signed up with New Master’s Academy.  It has taken a while for me to introduce myself, but I wanted to make sure I was at least somewhat committed to drawing each week- it sure takes a lot of discipline, and mine is not consistent.  The reason I signed up with NMA is that it looked like a good resource for practicing the fundamentals, and it had some art instructors that I thought were solid- and all this has proven to be true.  Currently, I am going through one short lesson per day on perspective in Erik Olson’s course- this is a really comprehensive one so I am taking it slowly.  I have done several of the lessons in Vilppu’s Animal and Figure Drawing Courses and will probably come back to these.  The 3d models and reference photos are a lot of fun to work with, and I’ll post some of my sketches from these in the sketchbook forum.  Anyhoo, great to be here and lets draw things….

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Welcome Jerry. We are your southern neighbors, down in Orange county.

We all struggle with consistent drawing. I’m sure that you will learn a lot here.

I recommend you start a 100 day challenge, or a sketchbook thread, or join a study group. Social accountability not only enriches the learning experience but it also increases your chance for success!

Jerry Spivak
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the welcome Joshua.  I hope you guys are good fire-wise in OC.  The Creek Fire was creeping up on us for a bit and made it to about 10 miles distant from Mammoth.  It made for some smoky days, but I think a good chunk of California has this problem right now.

I will try to post consistently in my Sketchbook thread and need to give some thought to a 100 day challenge.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, it’s been a bit like that. We live in San Juan Capistrano and there was one small fire very close a week ago but the fire fighters put it out within a few hours. Definitely nerve wracking…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.