Jen’s 100 Days of Head Drawings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jen’s 100 Days of Head Drawings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

Hi everyone, I’m Jen! I recently finished the Constructive Head Drawing course with Steve Huston and would like to continue practicing what I’ve learnt to reinforce that knowledge/muscle memory.

My goal is to draw a page of head constructions a day for 30-60 minutes. As for the medium it will either be digitally or traditionally (colored pencil, ink, ball point).

I’ll try working from photo references but want to occasionally include fanart. Every few days, I plan on doing a more rendered attempt at one larger portrait. Throughout the next 100 days I plan on taking more classes so I hope to slowly incorporate things beyond what’s been taught by Steve.

My goal is to one day be able to draw portraits in the style of Alphonse Mucha. Gotta start somewhere 🙂 I hope that by the end of the challenge I’ll have a better grasp at drawing portraits in general.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Giang Nguyen.
    Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

1/100 – wow it’s kinda nerve wracking to post when you’re not satisfied with your drawings 🤦🏻‍♀️

I need to work on proportions and placement of the ear. Anyway, here is a page of Nancy Wheeler from Stranger Things

1/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

2/200 – I’ve never done time poses before taking Constructive Head Drawing. I find that I like that format.

Without imposing a time limit on sketching, I feel like I’d never actually pick up a pencil. Or never finish a sketch because there would always be something else to add to it.2/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

3/100 definitely need that nose/ear refresher. Something to this coming week
    3/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

<span style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);”>4/100 – I’m pretty happy with how these turned out.</span>

4/100

Cindy KellyCindy Kelly
    Participant
    No points.

Good luck meeting your goals, Jen. You turned me on to another artist, Alphonse Mucha (although I’ve seen his work before) never associated it.

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

I’m glad to hear that! And thanks for the good luck. I’ll definitely need that to get through the next 96 days.

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

5/100 – hair is a mystery

5/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

6/100

managed to draw a few things yesterday but then forgot to post
    6/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

7/100 – watched parts of Renaissance Head Drawing

7/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

8/100 – I switched to digital for today. It was much easier compared to previous attempts with pencils

8/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

9/100 – another day of digital with one NMA ref from the Constructive Head Drawing class

9/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10 – working from imagination for the portrait. I used reference for the horse but changed the angle a little bit (Dynamic Sketching class paying off!). What I’m having a lot of trouble is coordinating the colors. I really need to study colors and values more.

Inspired by “Zodiac” – Alphonse Mucha

Day 10

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

11/100 – back to pencil drawings. Frustrated with how the shape of the head are coming along. Everything looks off even though I refer back to my notes form the class. It is really so much easier to draw on the iPad. I’ll keep practicing

11/100

Giang Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

Day 12 – I followed along with Glenn in the Lesson 3 Demo of Renaissance Head Drawing class. Real test will be trying to do this on my own

12/100

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.