Jeanette’s 100 Day Challenge: Dancers

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jeanette’s 100 Day Challenge: Dancers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    JeanetteMinnichJeanetteMinnich
    Participant
    No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work! What is your challenge going to be specifically?

Participant
    No points.

I’m going to focus on the anatomy of dancers. I really need to improve my sense of values, but since I want to do bas relief sculptures too, that wouldn’t work.  Maybe I’ll focus on values for my second hundred days 😊

Participant
    No points.

Participant
    No points.

More to do on this. Tutu in photo obscures her spine and hips. Also struggling with perspective and volume I think because it’s a fairly low relief.

Participant
    No points.

Participant
    No points.

Participant
    No points.

Starting a few reliefs so I can go back and forth working on different pieces when I get frustrated. I’m trying to see the bones and muscles in the figures, but dynamic dance poses twist the body in ways you don’t see in a chart.

Participant
    No points.

Participant
    No points.
    Participant
    No points.

Participant
    No points.

I can’t figure out how to rotate the photos. Started this bas relief a long time ago, lost the source photo, so found something similar and revised his pose accordingly. Not sure the foreshortening comes across correctly 🤷🏻‍♀️

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jeanette,

I think you’re doing a lovely job of these. The twists are tricky aren’t they. I’m trying to grapple with the same thing, learning figure drawing for the first time. These are looking good though. So far, this challenge is teaching me just to keep practicing and that’s been a helpful thing. All the best with yours :)! Just by the way, I had an image also refuse to post as a portrait, insisting on being landscape. I’m not sure why but they’re still easy enough to see.

Warmest regards,

Deborah

Participant
    No points.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jeanette,

Another nice drawing :)! I watched some of Steve Huston’s Fundamentals of Figure Drawing classes today. He is a clear teacher and doesn’t rush the learning process, which I find great. He teaches structure and gesture together and I found it enormously helpful in my drawing today. I thought of you because you had mentioned the classes I was watching and since you’re drawing dancers, in which you’re capturing such dynamic poses, I thought it may be of interest to you.

A note about the photo orientation: I decided to take a square photo and just leave some white space on either side of my figure – the program then posted it the right way up 😊.

Warmest regards,

Deborah

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Debbie H.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.