Jaylene’s 100 Day Challenge Head Construction

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jaylene’s 100 Day Challenge Head Construction

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 69 07082020

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jaylene. I’m really sorry you were in a car accident. That’s awful. Are you recovering okay? I hope so.

You’re doing a great job with your heads. I’m focussing on heads at the moment too and they’re hard. Which instructor/s are you finding helpful in learning what you’re doing?

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you.  I am recovering well.  I tried to keep up with 5 head constructions per day but some days were just too much, but I am back in the grove now.  I was going through Steve Huston’s figure drawing and the head section was very useful for me.  Now I am going through the beginning head drawing course, it has various instructors Charles Hu, Chris Legespi ( I didn’t spell that right)  I have tried the Loomis method as well, but I think following along with Steve Huston, Charles Hu, Chris helped me the most.  Sometimes I feel happy with my work but mostly they are just hard.

Day 61 07102020

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Art is hard, there is no question about it.  One of my favorite art quotes is from Cesar Santos.  He said “As much time as I spend on this stuff, I should be a lot better than I am.”  I often feel the exact same way and it is comforting to know very accomplished and successful artists are feeling the same thing.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

That is a very good quote.  Its exactly how I feel.  Amazing that someone as good as Cesar Santos feels the same way.  That helps a lot.  I also try to counter my existential angst with Winston Churchill’s On Painting essay.  Its probably more applicable to the hobbyist like myself than to a professional artist, but I recommend it.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 62 07112020

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jaylene,

I’m so sorry that I haven’t seen your post about your car accident but I’m glad you are ok.

I’m also impressed about the mileage you achieved since my last comment. I also just started the beginning head drawing course and I can’t wait to compare and see how the course will improve your work 👋

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks  Im healing well but this experience showed me how important posture is important and position/angle of my drawing surface is to sucess. And a clear mind:)  Good luck with your head drawings, Im getting so much out of the beginning drawing courses.

Day 63 07132020

<!–more–>

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by JayleneJaylene.
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 64 07152020

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Day 65 07172020

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your drawings are inspiring!!! I’ve been doing the exact same courses for the past four months, but you seem to be making more progress! I’m guilty of spending more time doing fully finished portraits. Judging from your work I need to focus more on quicker studies. I know others on this site have talked about how important quantity is for improving. I love the Cesar Santos quote: “As much time as I spend on this stuff, I should be a lot better than I am.” That fits me perfectly. Also, I’m glad that your recovery from the accident is going well. Keep up the great work!

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you! Truth be told I started taking drawing classes 15 years ago.  I’ve been on NMA for just over a year and Im still learning a lot from the beginning lessons.  Not sure that’s a very comforting thought?  It is what it is.  It took me about 90 min to do today’s heads and I was following along with Chris Legaspi.  This helps me to put the head construction in the right order so accuracy is within the realm of possibility for me. First marks first, otherwise I am all over the place, rendering eyes when the head is not even in the right relationship to the shoulders.

Day 66 07182020

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

i like your many head sketches, they have life to them

so what are you using for reference, if any?

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.
    JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you! In this particular case I am following along with Chris Legaspi begining head drawing part 2, lay-in

https://www.nma.art/videolessons/portrait-drawing-for-beginners-part-2-the-lay-in/?course=115672

Sometimes I use NMA image references portrait search and, occasionally images from Pinterest.

Day 67 07192020

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 154 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.