Jac’s 100 days of skies and trees

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jac’s 100 days of skies and trees

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 95 1 /12/2022

• I got outside for a bit of tree sketching. A young ash tree.

• I re-drew the geometric still life from the other day that I got quite badly wrong…. only for this to be worse I reckon!

Practice Time: 3h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

02/12/2022

• A master study of Pontormo from Drawing Lessons From the Great Masters.

• I went along to Villpu’s Friday draw-a-long. Good fun, if not very tough. He got into tone quickly, which lost me fairly immediately.

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 03/12/2022

• I completed part of the assignment for Week 3 of foundations of drawing….

• And the other part… I hated this exercise. So tedious. Which probably means it’s a weakness and I should do more of it. I’m just noticing how wonky the top half of the spirit level is (ironic). 🙁

• I did a little figure drawing, 10 minutes.

Master Monday key bits to remember

• Lack of gesture and flow through the figure
    • Most students struggled with accuracy; proportion and measurement – slow down, use enveloping, needles, whatever you need to get it right.
    • Overworking the half-tones, not utilising the paper
    • Advanced stuff, but going thick to thin with lines to avoid ‘hairy’ rendering. Using this to show form – not easy! Requires practising the lines.
    • Analysing the shadows – demonstrating core, reflected and cast shadows.

Practice Time: 3h 30m

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 04/12/2022

• I painted outdoors for an hour – but with nothing to show for it. It was just too cold, the hands became real numb and I couldn’t control the paintbrush. I don’t think I can count this towards the challenge as I wiped away what I had done.

• I worked on another contour drawing for Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective. This was a bit more successful than my previous, I think. Regardless, I’ve done week 3 assignments, but may add another negative shape assignment for my sins.

• I watched Week 4  of Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective and got started on the 1 point perspective assignment.

Practice Time: 4h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 05/12/2022

<li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
    • I completed the 2 point and 3 point assignments for Fundamentals of Perspective. Reflecting on the contour and perspective exercises of the last few weeks, I recognise I have an inherent resistance to precision and detail. This vibes with my natural tendency  to be satisfied with ‘good enough’, so long as the 80% is right I don’t get hung up on details or being finicky with getting the last 20% perfect. But with these sorts of exercises, this is too loose an attit
    • I did a little figure drawing.

• I also got started on a master study, but will finish up tomorrow.

Practice Time: 2h 30

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by JackJack.
    JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 06/12/2022

I completed a relatively quick study from Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters, a pupil of da vinci.

I started a portrait in sanguine after getting some feedback from Catherine on my previous one – will post the final one tomorrow.

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 07/12/2022

• I finished off that portrait I started yesterday.

• I also did a bit of figure drawing, mixed result!

I need to accept that I’m not going to get as much practice in over the next few weeks (because of work and personal stuff) as I’d like! 3h a day is good for now.

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 08/12/2022

What happened to my challenge? Nothing sky/tree related for a week now! Tut tut. Must get back on it.

I’m struggling to remember what I did this day. I know I did some figures with tone….

Practice Time: 3h 30m

Day xx 09/12/2022

• I worked some more on a master study from Master Monday… this one is so slow. I’m not convinced I’m doing it in a way that is time well spent, but I’ll persist. It’s a work in progress.

• I got started on the Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective… but I didn’t take in progress pictures.

Day xx 10/12/2022

Despite being a Saturday, I didn’t have too much time due to family fun, but enough time to finish off the 1 point perspective assignment. It took way longer than I expected.

Annoyingly, I can see that the right windows are all not vertical and where the ceiling meets the back wall… oi vey…

Practice Time: 2h

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day 96 11/12/2022

• It was the Villpu Drawing Manual book launch, so I did a few sketches during the live stream of trees based on a few illustrations in Artistic Anatomy of Trees.  It ain’t much, but if I don’t count them I’ll never finish this challenge!

• Based on coaching feedback, I’ve started watching Intro To Figure, and doing assignment one on balance. I’m finding it a real struggle to portray the figure in 2-3 simple forms. Even getting the basic tilt/orientation is a challenge. I’ve so much to learn, hopefully the course will help!

• I completed the second assignment for Week 5 of Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective. Onto week 6!

Practice Time: 4h

Day xx 12/12/2022

• Mostly more figure practice from Intro To Figure, starting to do assignment two where you start to build out the forms along with the basic shapes. There were a few ‘ah ha’ moments, but on the whole it’s quite taxing. I’ve re-watched some of the lectures 3 times in two days. A real wrestle. The last two are a little stiff, but the process feels like it’s coming together.

• I also watched and finished the assignment for week 6 of Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective. Admittedly I did this sort of quickly compared to the other perspective assignments, but I had to do it pretty small (postcard size) in order to fit all the vanishing points on an A3 sheet.

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 13/12/2022

• I watched, and completed the assignment for, week 7 of Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective on the sphere.

• I did an hour of figure drawing. I’ve done quite a few more figures than the assignment for week 1 of Intro to Figure, but I’m still not sure I “get it”. I think this is one of those courses/subjects you’ve just got to move on and periodically circle back.

Claudio Alba
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Amazing drawing and paintings!

I really like your compositions.

May I ask what colours you usually use?

Cheers

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Hello Claudio – thank you for your kind words.

In terms of the pigments I use, they’re essentially the palette from Intro To Landscape with Ben Fenske – with a few modifications as I’ve gone along. Essenntially it’s a cool/warm for red/blue/yellow, plus a brown.

• Warm White (Michael Holland)
    • Aliz. Crimson
    • Cad Red
    • Cerulean
    • Ultramarine
    • Cad Yellow
    • Y. Ochre
    • Transparent Oxide Red

Increasingly I’ve been experimenting with a more earth palette and fewer cadmiums, but this is a work in progress.

Cheers,

Jack

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 14/12/2022

I’ve been missing in action due to getting married, so I haven’t gotten much drawing done.

Before I left I did finish the portrait I was working on. Not as successful as my previous, I don’t think. The orientation of the mouth just looks wrong, it’s facing towards the viewer, appears flat and doesn’t wrap around the muzzle. This is sort of how the reference looks, so this is probably an example of where I should have deviated. I like the eyes though.

The only drawing I did whilst I was away were some spheres, which I drew at 4am as I couldn’t sleep on the hard hotel beds. I’m counting these as towards the Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective 

Practice Time: 2 hours?

Day xx 18/12/2022

• I watched week 2 of Intro to the figure, a continuation of gesture but for seated/prone figures. Then did some drawings…

• I also did one of the two assignments for week 8 of Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective . 

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 19/12/2022

• Intro To The Figure, week 2 – 1-2 hours of figure drawing

Practice Time: 1h

Day xx 20/12/2022

• Second assignment for Fundamentals of Drawing and Perspective, week 8.

Practice Time: 1h 30m

I’m not getting a lot of time for art due to family being in town. Normal service should resume once Christmas is all wrapped up.

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Day xx 20-22/12/2022

• Bit of figure drawing.

Practice Time:… who knows

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.