Introduction to Sketchbook Techniques and Materials

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Introduction to Sketchbook Techniques and Materials

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

At New Masters Academy, we’ve been receiving many requests for master artist Steve Huston to reveal his beautiful sketchbook drawing and painting techniques.We’re proud to announce that we have finally created a video lesson for all of you who have been so patiently waiting! In this video lesson, world-renowned artist Steve Huston shows you how to create gorgeous art in a scrap acid-free sketchbook using pencil, fountain pen, and gouache water color. Steve breaks down all the materials that you need and shows you how he uses reference or just imagination to create striking sketchbook pages. If you’re looking to create amazing sketchbooks for yourself or to exhibit and share with others, this is the perfect lesson to get you started.

Materials

• Acid-Free Toned Scrap Book
    • Faber-Castell Fountain Pen – Fine or Extra Fine
    • Sepia Fountain Pen Ink
    • Prismacolor Turquoise Pencil
    • Plastic Palette, Butcher Tray Palette or Palette Paper
    • Paper Towel
    • Winsor Newton Gouache
    • Simply Simmons Synthetic Mix Watercolor Brushes
    JessicaCanham
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I really enjoyed this lesson and hope that Mr. Huston will do more gouache sketching lessons soon.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute for the Canson toned (oatmeal colored) scrapbook?  I can’t find them anywhere.  Most toned sketchbook papers are too thin for gouache.  Thanks, Jessica

moon6glow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It was a truly fun lesson to watch. I’ve never thought of using gouache before but after seeing his wonderful demo, can’t wait to give it a shot.

pavel.d.kohout
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I loved the series, truly. Its so great.

CrossHatching is now my topic of interest, oh boy, thank you Steve for teaching so much about new artists, art philosoph and discipline, Joshep Clement Coll is a great source of studies.

Hope we get more watercolors and more Steve, I never get enough of him!

Christopher Beacham
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This sketchbook he uses is no longer manufactured.   I can’t find anyone selling those Canson sketchbooks.  Strathmore makes a mixed media toned-tan pads and journals that is 300 g/ 184 lb paper. I haven’t tried it yet but that seems like the most similar to what Steve is using.
    I’ve been drawing and painting in a toned tan sketchbook by Strathmore and the paper isn’t really strong enough for paint, but sketching in it is a joy.   I use a white paint marker for highlights but it’s pretty ‘sharp’ so I think a white colored pencil would probably be better

dvymarkdvymark
    Participant
    No points.

Really loved this sketchbook tutorial. Thank you Steve. Your wonderful way of explaining how to use a fountain Pen to produce delightful details and the type of ink to use to create my images has pushed me toward using a fountain pen. After watching this tutorial I am claiming my sketchbook as my own and learning to explore techniques and materials. This is one of my favourite tutorials. With the details about Gouache very much appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.