Introduction to Gesture Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Introduction to Gesture Drawing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, you will learn how to use rhythm and gesture to create a sense of movement and character within your figure drawings. Instructor John Asaro will demonstrate how to find and utilize the center axis line. Then, instructor Bill Perkins will teach you how to find the rhythms within the forms and contours of the figure. He also shows you how to apply chiaroscuro in designing your artwork.

This lesson belongs to the course Drawing Foundation II. This course is designed to empower new students with a structured approach to learning how to draw. Join instructors Bill Perkins, John Asaro, and Mark Westermoe as you learn the fundamentals of figure and cast drawing, understand values, study major and minor keys, and take the first look at the landscape drawing genre. After completing this course, you will develop a solid foundation in drawing any subject matter.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Gabriel Teixeira
    Participant
    No points.

hpow do  i find the right distancce and size

Nigel John Kelvin Koopman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Please specify your question asked so people can provide a clearer answer. If i’d have to take a guess then you are probably talking about structural proportions?  When working on gesture and rythm the emphasis is really not on proportions of the figure (such as size, distance, and comparative measurement)  but what is paramount is to deal with dynamic expression, and the fluidity of curves such as the S-CURVE for the mass of the torso, pelvis and spine. in relation to the curves of the limbs that cause an interplay and harmony as well as fluidity and liveliness . If you are stuck somehow and would like to learn more about proportions then you could look up any video explaining the proportions of the human body.  Keep in mind that proportions and distances alter because of certain poses were foreshortening is concerned.

Adam Stevens
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I do not agree with this view. I think his paintings look funny. Why not appreciate reality for the beauty that it is. You don’t need to curve everything to bring out the beauty. Its one style and its not my favorite.

rlschuesrlschues
    Participant
    No points.

I thought it was really great how John Asaro demonstrated the inconsistencies in the master drawings and paintings. A couple of years back I purchased his Bella Donna exhibition images that I thought were stunningly gorgeous. So, it has been a real pleasure gaining new insights so I can more thoughtfully appreciate his work.

mark lewis
    Participant
    No points.

“Photos are drawn wrong”. Haha

I do appreciate the point of view and the point of directing the eyes in works of art. To me critiquing the masters made the instructor lose credibility. Though maybe I need to challenge my perspective on the masters.

Leda
    Participant
    No points.

For someone who made a head from only straight line he really dose not like straight lines.

Not sure if it’s because I’m a beginner but I honestly didn’t find anything wrong with any of those paintings.

Tara Shoemaker
    Participant
    No points.

His figures look like Gumby. I get wanting to avoid your drawings looking stiff…but real people’s arms do not look like spaghetti noodles. Yikes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.