How to participate in the “Self-Portrait Avatar” Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities Self-Portrait Avatar How to participate in the “Self-Portrait Avatar” Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Okay, artists, it’s time to show us who you are!

For this challenge, you must create a self-portrait drawing, painting, sculpture, or digital piece, to use as your community avatar. Ready?

1. Create your self-portrait in whatever medium you want
    2. Take a photo of your portrait
    3. Go to your public profile edit page (https://www.nma.art/forums/users/YOUR_USER_NAME/edit/)
    4. Scroll down to “Avatar” and click “Choose File” then click “Upload”
    5. Once your avatar is updated, come back to this forum and create a new topic with the title “Self-Portrait in Oil” or whatever medium
    6. In the body of your post, tell us about your experience creating your self-portrait
    7. Feel free to update and share your avatar with a new self-portrait as often as you like
    8. Once you post, you will get a special badge that can be seen by everyone in the community, commemorating your achievement!

We encourage all artists, even if you have an existing self-portrait, to create a new one specifically for use in the New Masters Academy community. But, if you already have a self-portrait, it’s okay to use this as your avatar. Just make sure you post in this forum with the image and tell us a little bit about the process.

We can’t wait to see your self-portraits!

David BillingsDavid Billings
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Self Portrait in Pastels on Newsprint

I am trying to learn the fundamentals and be expressive while I do it. I wanted to focus less on copying what I saw and more how I saw it in terms of light and dark, shadow and highlight.

rodrigovcostarodrigovcosta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

… It was a kind of experience trying to rise expressivity, as happens, many times, in dialog with the mirror, once the self-portrait, from the natural, works as really introspective moment, in which we can see ourselves outside and inside…

KittyKitty
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Self- portrait in acrylic and pastels.

This one is my first self-portrait and it was a lot of fun. I usually spend months on a piece using oils.  I did this in about 30 minutes.

As you can tell,  I’ve just started with the academy 🙂 I’ve a lot to learn!

Phu NguyenPhu Nguyen
    Participant
    No points.

John RohrbachJohn Rohrbach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

First crack at acrylics – or first canvas anyway. There are 5 atrocious paintings under this one. I texted images back and forth with my mother during the first few weeks of quarantine, and it gave us something to talk about other than the news. This was the first version where my dad chimes in to say I was “getting somewhere.”

daenjolis151daenjolis151
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

MCG DAENJOLI IS MOON CHILD GRAPHICS..

I enjoyed this challenge, I love to draw and create using software techniques. I used  a little PS and Li to create this image.

I call it MCG DaEnjoli…my creative side..

Ilan ShaitIlan Shait
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Magi HernandezMagi Hernandez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It’s the 46th day of coven curfew. It’s 3AM and I can’t sleep – again, so I decided to go ahead and get up and start my day. Turned on the lights and – THIS – met me in the bathroom mirror. Too many sleepless night and way overdue for trip the the hair solon.

Kevin OlverKevin Olver
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My first ever self-portrait and the first time using this paper. It was a challenging and intimate exercise. Perhaps it was no coincidence that I had started watching the BBC Dracula TV series. 🙂 I’m already looking forward to the next self-portrait.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Kevin OlverKevin Olver.
    stonem1stonem1
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My portrait is a copy of a self portrait by John Singer Sargent, with the facial details and clothing changed to look like me. Acrylic on canvas, 18×24

Kelly JensvoldKelly Jensvold
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

That looks epic! Great job!

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello everyone.
    I drew this self portrait in the back of a watercolor sketch, that’s the explanation of the bumps you may see. It’s like a floating head inspired in a selfie, I have long hair in reality.
    I have seen that the more damage or cheap or inadequate is the paper I use, the better I feel drawing on it…. because I won’t spoil anything!

Be happy and safe!
    Kind regards from Spain.
    Myriam

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m sorry. It wasn’t here where I was supposed to talk about the self portrait.  I’ve just created a new topic with the title “Self-Portrait in Graphite”. I wish I knew how to delete this. 😐 Thank you.

Myriam

Allen CarterAllen Carter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Self portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.