History of Illustration?

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Website Suggestions and Wish List History of Illustration?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Eden
    Participant
    No points.

I’ve seen a lot of great art history courses but I haven’t seen much for the history of illustration.

I get most of it from hearing about artists from other artists, from books I find in the library, and doing research online.

My knowledge isn’t great but I would like to improve it. There is one textbook on Amazon on the history of Illustration, but I was wondering if you guys might put something together? I have gotten most of my knowledge from finding books in the library and linking it up. Specifically, I am interested in the history of illustration starting from Jean Leon Jerome. My understanding is that he was the authority on “art” and was setting up the Atelier model, Bargue plates and such, and it was creating a generation of realist artists who mostly painted like Jean Leon Jerome. And this is where Illustration splits off from Art. And in addition during that time period, historical art was getting really popular, such as August Racinet’s history of costumes and Owen Jones’ Grammar of Ornament.

I mean, obviously I will continue to do my own research into it, but it would be cool for someone more knowledgeable to put it into context.

I see the Jason Arkles podcast and am excited about that too. I would love more art history.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.