Hi everyone!

Discuss on Discord Register Free
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Annukka PuotiniemiAnnukka Puotiniemi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My name is Annukka and I’m from Finland. I started drawing this spring and the last time I put pen to paper other than writing was over 10 years ago. Back then my son was little so it didn’t last. Before that, the last time I drew anything was in high school. I was discouraged by a teacher telling me I couldn’t draw and therefore spent a couple of decades thinking I didn’t have a creative bone in my body. I’m so happy I’ve rediscovered drawing, it’s a lot of fun, doesn’t have to cost the earth, and I find it very meditative. And I love the learning curve associated with it, too. It’s good to challenge the old brain! Not to mention, a wonderful counterbalance to my IT day job.

I started (re-started) drawing by watching some free videos but I soon realized I was completely lost in some of them, and others seemed to give weird advice… I also found myself jumping from technique to technique and subject matter to subject matter. So, I did some thinking and decided to narrow down my focus to portraits initially in pencil or charcoal. That’s how I found NMA, and I’m so happy I did!

I have a massive learning curve ahead of me – I currently draw really weird-looking faces haha! Anyway, I’m looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks for reading!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Welcome Annukka!

I found that Chris Legaspi’s portrait series is really good for beginning students.  He shows you how to do a lay in, thumbnails, development, and gives lots of examples.  Really great stuff.  Check it out.

Annukka PuotiniemiAnnukka Puotiniemi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erik! Thanks for the welcome. I started watching that one, and I think it’s excellent. I’m also watching An Introduction to Drawing Fundamentals with Sheldon Borenstein – lots of very good advice there for someone with no real art training.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.