Hello, I’m Colin

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Start Here: Introduce Yourself! Hello, I’m Colin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Colin GanColin Gan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello, I’m Colin. I picked up painting and drawing about two years ago and have decided to join NMA because I spend a lot of time watching art videos on Youtube, so I figured it might be more worthwhile to get some quality instruction from a site like this and I would like to invest more time in developing my abilities. I have a bad habit of buying a lot of art materials so I have a lot of stuff to work with; I am making use of NMA to calm my tendency to jump from medium to medium. I like watercolour and gouache for doing plein air painting and urban sketching. I also like painting my friends. I have mainly been watching Steven Huston’s Constructive Figure Drawing but have looked into a number of others. As a result of NMA I have rediscovered the simple joy of a graphite mechanical pencil and have been doing a lot of figure drawings in it.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Colin GanColin Gan.
    TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Colin

It’s very easy to go mad in an art shop , it all looks so lovely I’ve bought things where I like the name  good luck with your journey here .

Tim

Lewis HoughtonLewis Houghton
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi there!

I can relate to buying all those mediums and not knowing which to pick or focus on. I’ve never really learned to paint and I want to give that a try but I love drawing so much also! haha

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am going to move slowly into painting  , it’s not that seperate really kinda like wetter  drawing ,you need all the drawing skills .

Plus colour which is a whole new ball game

I am using vine charcoal charcoal pencil white charcoal / pastel moving blending  brushing these is painting , also I do the odd Grisaille in greys or browns  Derwent have non colour  pencils that you can wash  so it’s a transition .one of the tutors on here a great draughtsman said it took him years to  understand colour a couple of years after he had been teaching it !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.