Grisaille vs alla prima?

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art Discussion Painting Grisaille vs alla prima?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vansh choraria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I’ve seen quite a few artists claim that painting in layers can produce more realistic and deep effects? Is it true, or can i get a similar sense of realism with wet on wet? Also,is it better to blend or to use tiles of transitions? Or do both?

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Vansh, It’s true that layered (indirect) paintings can achieve optical effects that alla prima painting simply can’t. These effects are hard to appreciate by looking at reproductions in books or online but if you can see the master paintings in museums in person, you’ll notice the effects right away.

So it isn’t as much about “realism” as it is the effect which creates a certain experience with your viewers. My advice (and I know this is difficult with COVID) but try to see as many of these master works in person as you can. You’ll get a better idea of what your own inspiration is and what technique you’d like to study.

All prima or direct painting is more common in contemporary work. It’s faster, can be considered better for sketch like or painterly effects, and it’s the norm. Indirect painting is more difficult, takes much longer because your work has to try and it’s harder to learn how to do it.

The choice ultimately is yours.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.