Graphite, pen and ink work

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Graphite, pen and ink work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ruxandra.ionceruxandra.ionce
    Participant
    No points.

It’s been nearly a year since I became an NMA member and I would appreciate some feedback on some more recent works. Even thought I did not manage to invest consistent time and energy in studying art, this platform is so brilliant that even little time investment goes a very, very long way. I would be very happy to have my drawings critiqued! Thank you!

portrait

figure drawing

'Panta rhei'

Participant
    No points.

Here are some more drawings in pen and ink, first one is yet to be finished

Etruscan Horses/ Akhal-Teke  horse

Dying_Gaul

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Ruxandra,

I really like this work! I think you’re thinking compositionally and creatively, allowing the format of the page, as well as the medium to really emphasize the pictorial impact and feel of your subject matter. I’m a big fan of graphic work and I really like your use of pen, especially the hatching. I see that your working a lot from images and I think you’re doing a good job not making the pieces look too photographic, but I, of course, will recommend working a little bit more from life. There’s something in the analysis of a much more full reality that teaches you to condense the situation in a way the photograph can’t. I think that once having had that practice, working from photographs becomes all the more enjoyable. It would also solve the main problem that I’m seeing here, which I believe is the lack of “environment.” Now that could be a graphic preference, but I do believe that it’s important to learn to integrate foreground and background into a single space. This means essentially, that the atmosphere is more important than any of the objects within that atmosphere. If you decide to forgo such a naturalistic approach later, that’s ok, but here and there you’ll use things you’ve learned from it and I think it’ll make your work all the better. I think you’re already doing it somewhat in your preference of contrast on the elements and objects that are closer but there’s still a lack of unifying shadows and light. I would look at the etchings and ink work of artists like Rembrandt, Whistler, Zorn, and Repin (drawings). As for the specifics, i.e. anatomy, tone, and all the rest as applied to individual animals, objects, and people, I think that’s all quite good. I especially like the portrait. I wish you luck on this work and I’ll check in next week and do a draw-over one of your images.

Keep up the great work!

Iliya

Participant
    No points.

Hi Iliya,

I am so grateful to receive such a lengthy and considerate reply! I will take you advice to heart and try to schedule more time to go out and draw from life. I found tremendous encouragement on this platform and so much confirmation that I am going the right way! I got very excited about you study suggestions in reference to the artists I should look to- the drawings of Repin and Rembrandt are indeed my utopian goals…

I am so much looking forward to see the draw-overs! I was initially so concerned about the anatomy when I heard that you will be analysing my drawings 😀

All the best,

Ruxandra

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your work is very impressive! The rendering in your pen and ink drawings is incredible. I agree with Iliya that the graphite portrait is my favorite. The modeling of the forms is simple but so well done that no additional detail is needed. Iliya’s comments are very instructive and will help me in my own drawings as well. Keep posting! I’d love to see more!

Participant
    No points.

Hi Jan,

I am sorry for the delayed answer. Thank you for your valuable feedback! I should be more diligent in using this forum, as it is a great way to interact and learn far more. I felt so lucky to have my art checked by Iliya and I’m very glad i has a twofold effect, in that it also helps you as well. I will make sure to post more (I have been busy with finalising my dissertation and put art on the shelf for a while); I have actually started working on a couple more elaborate pieces.

All the best and keep practicing! 🙂

Ruxandra

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.