Graphite on toned paper

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Graphite on toned paper

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A toned portrait I did several weeks ago for practice. Took my time and completed in 3 days. Graphite on 9×12 toned paper. I’ve been working on getting more tonal separation in my lights and darks, hence one of the reasons I am knee deep in the Charles Bargue plates for my 100 day art challenge. Thank you for any and all insight! 🙂

DominikaDominika
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Carlise!

The portrait is lovely, I can feel the presence of this woman.

What bothers me a bit is that left shoulder is a bit stiff. I suppose if the reflected light on it din’t have the same thickness on the whole length it would give her more life there.

The right side is just beautifuly disappearing in the background! Hear are great. I have maybe a bit weird feeling about her eyelashes. They might be separated like that, but gives some odd effect of repeating shape.

I wish to see more of your works when you emerge from Bargue:)

Cheers,

Dominika

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Dominika! Thank you so very much for taking the time and giving your wonderful assessment! I do see what you mean about her arm/shoulder. I think a bit more midtones closing in on the highlight would help it, maybe? Her eyelashes were fake and I did not like how ‘perfectly in place’ they appeared. However, I kept them as is. I do struggle with going off on my own (trusting my gut) and changing things in the image because I try so hard to copy the image exact. This is definitely one of the many areas I am working on. Thank you, again!! I truly appreciate all of the insight you gave! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.