Graphite figure drawing critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Graphite figure drawing critique

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cd artcd art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello!

Thanks so much for the critiques of some of my previous sketches. Now I’ve switched to graphite and am really focusing on tonal harmony and consistency. In the past, my mid tones in the shadow areas were to light, and too dark in the areas where the light hit, so I that’s what I am focusing on getting right!

I’d love any critique of this sketch I did yesterday:

Thanks so much!

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hmmmm…..first let’s work on the drawing issues at hand, the head feels flat to the picture plane, it seems to be in a profile that’s starting to turn a little? it should have the “overlapping form” idea anyway to suggest that, the eye sockets (especially the closer one) don’t seem to occupy space(if that make sense), the zygomatic arch need to turn to the front from the lateral edge of the socket, the mouth/lips need to wrap around the denture sphere below, the digastric plane needs to bump over the tube of the neck which is too skinny? ( I wonder), the left clavicle looks deformed because of how the form is described.

While this certainly has things that are working for it, like the upper part of the body and some lighting( though the highlight around the nipple region seems a little heavy-handed) , but the head is the first read so…. If my review seems overly critical I apologize

I hope this helps…….

cd artcd art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tanisha,

While your comments are insightful (and your knowledge of anatomy impressive!) I should have said that I was focused on the torso, as that is the area I am studying anatomically right now. The head is still in the block-in stage. I’m sure these (albiet a  bit harsh) comments will help as I continue to work on it.

Thanks so much!

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I see,  let me put my thinking cap on once more, let’s start with things that are working, the light shapes and the shadow shapes are well defined and hence separate which creates a map for turning form so good job on that! While the edges certainly could use more work and precision.

In regards to the torso, the main issue I see is with the clavicles and the tone describing it, which seems distorted, in turn making the manubrium and sternum angled weirdly, the thoracic arch or the opening of the rib cage is at the right place so well done.

(If I seemed a bit grumpy, was probably cause had a long study session, making no excuses, but glad you took it so well >.< )

cd artcd art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Tanisha!

I took your comments to heart and did some more work. Still not quite there, but I feel I am getting closer!

let me know what you’re thinking!

Tanisha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The head certainly has a lot more spatial relationship than before, yielding it to look more lifelike, Good Job!

The mastoids muscle and clavicles need a little more work, but the placement manubriu+sternum has improved.

The value and edges could use more unity and precision but for sure you are getting closer!!

Keep up the good pace!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.