Gesture figure drawing critique please

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Gesture figure drawing critique please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Would appreciate a critique of my sketch .
    Regards
    Sanyal

Jim C
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Sanyal,

I have a few comments / thoughts.   First – and most importantly – good for you for seeking feedback!

To me, this drawing seems to be developed quite a bit further than a typical “gesture” drawing,  (it has a lot of shading, some close attention to musculature, etc.

The toes of his left foot appear to be off the ground – which makes the entire pose somewhat unstable..  I think this is a minor perspective error.

There is a lot of good work & thinking represented throughout the figure.   You captured a strong masculine form in a pretty convincing pose.   Good job captureing the side plane of his body, the several rythms of his upper body (especially), the suggestion of his head and face.   I think the propoertion fo his head & face to his torso and hips is strong.

To me, his legs might benefit by a little bit or lengthening and you might consider making his left hand (nearer the knee) and his right foot a bit longer .

I really like his left hand 0 it doesn’t matter (to me) that it is not more finished; the suggestion is plenty.

I find the shading to be a bit on the heavy and patchy side.    Though it’s great to be bold with your darkest darks, there is kind of a ton of information you have put into the shading and i think the piece would  be stronger if it were simplified and overall lighter – reserving the darkest accents where they are most needed.    (I only add this comment because you included so much shading)

Probably the essential thing for this piece was to capture a very strong, masculine pose.   Your drawing definitely brings that home.

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Hi James,
    Thank you so much for this valuable feedback,belive me your kind words gives a lot of encouragement to amateur or beginner artists like me(didnt receive any for the last work submitted!).
    Yes,you are correct that the hands have been small and with lots of unnecssary details and shading it is far away from a simple gesture drawing ,well thats what i struggle for.. not to make my studies look overworked ! but end up doing so.
    Once again ,much appreciate your feedback.
    Regards
    Mr.Sanyal

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. Drawing looks off balance, like he is about to fall over. Mostly that’s because of the placement of the straight leg. Legs seem a bit short and feet small. Since he’s twisting we probably don’t want a straight line for the spine. The right leg is going back in space. If that’s true it should be shorter than the standing leg.

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Joshua,

Many thanks for the kind words and much valued feedback.
    Yes,would have to give it a go again with all these inputs.
    Much appreciated.

Regards
    Sanyal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.