Full value graphite portrait for critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Full value graphite portrait for critique

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gavin Hubbard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all,

I’d love to get some feedback on this portrait — it’s the first full value portrait I’ve attempted so far. I’ve also included and image from the towards the end of the lay in, in case that’s useful.

For reference: it’s a crop of this image from the NMA library: Jade_Nude_48.jpg

For context, this was done in an A5 sketchbook, so not very large, with Staedtler Mars Lumogrpah black pencils, so basically graphite, but blacker.

full value lay in

Any and all feedback appreciated!

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Gavin, for your first full value drawing this is great. So many things working. The first thing I notice is the general slope of the face, esp. the chin to the forehead. It should roll backwards more. Which will strengthen the architecture and make the drawing read more like an upshot. Also added some dark accents to the near eye and ghosted out the far. Hope that helps.

crit gavin

Gavin Hubbard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much for taking the time, Chris. Really appreciate your time for the draw over and comments, that’s really helpful.

Now you’ve pointed it out, along with bringing the hairline down and the cheekbone out a little more, it really makes sense. Amazing how you can’t see things yourself sometimes…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.