For CD art (Casey)

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique For CD art (Casey)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mengu Gungor
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

CD, I’m just a fellow artist, not an instructor, but here are some thoughts… I understand it’s difficult to share your work, but it’s a great step toward improvement. You have a nice sketch. I feel like you may have shrunk the bottom half of your sketch to fit your page, particularly toward the feet. This is a pretty common incident I see in life drawing. For 3 hour studies, I think it really pays off to use the first couple minutes to take a few quick measurements to place some boundaries on the page. I draw a line for top and bottom of the model, so I know where the figure will be placed on the page, and then I find a half way point, and mark that, determining where that is on the model. And then I proceed with an envelope. This only takes a few minutes. For a standing model, depending on your eye level and build of the model, half way is typically a little above the pubis. Here on the right, I liquified the image a bit to show my guess at her proportions. Hope this helps. Keep at it, and keep sharing.

ps. One other reason the bottom half may have shrunk is if you are close to the model and standing, in which case perspective will affect the lower half. While I’m not sure if that was the case, it’s something to be aware of.

cd artcd art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Mengu,

thanks so much for this! Sorry it took me so long to respond, I am a pastor by day and this COVID crisis has hit us hard where I live. I agree that I elongated the bottom of the model, and I think this is because I was drawing at an angled table. I started to look at all my drawings at a ninety degree angle and realizing they were stretched out, so now I draw on an easel straight up, which has helped. That being said, your comments are very helpful to me.

I’ll be sure to upload some recent sketches soon, right now I am working on an anatomy sketchbook to get a better understanding of what I am seeing.

Thanks again,

Casey

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.