First Portrait drawing since starting NMA – please critique and provide feedback

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique First Portrait drawing since starting NMA – please critique and provide feedback

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Amedu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi NMA community,

I hope you are all well.

My name is Christopher Amedu  – I’m 23 and I come from the UK.

I started NMA in December and here is a portrait I finished today. I know it can be improved but I can’t put my finger on it – I really need a fresh pair of eyes to critique and review my drawing.

Portrait

Here is the reference:

Thank you for taking the time to look at my drawing – have a wonderful day.

Thanks

Chris

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Christopher:  First off I should let you know I am a beginner but I have been on NMA for almost 2 years.  I hope you don’t mind if I practice my critiquing by making a comment on your portrait.  I think you caught the expression very well.  That quirky smile.   I don’t think I know enough myself to be able to point out “fundamental” issues but what did pop out to me was the eye socket and forehead on the viewers left.  It seems a bit wide compared to your reference.  It might be a perspective issue because while her head is straight forward compared to her body, the point of view of the camera is off to one side slightly.    I always forget to do this myself but it really does help to check your  drawing by looking at it in a mirror.    Thanks for letting me comment.  Its a very nice portrait.  I hope you see more of your work and I hope you will critique my work. 🙂

John McCaughey
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher. I’m pretty new to NMA as well but what Steve Huston’s Constructive Head Drawing course has just taught me is that a wider neck and smaller eyes will make your subject appear more masculine than they are, which your subject most certainly isn’t! Hope this helps. Love the job you’ve done with her hair by the way!

Cheers

Christopher Amedu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to look at my piece Jayelene. I apologise for my late reply. Your critiques were very helpful, it makes sense what you said about the eye. Secondly, I would love to give you feedback but I simply am not at the level where I think it would be of any constructive value (I’m a beginner who’s starting again). That being said, your figure drawings look really good !! What class are you watching to do the 100 day challenge?

Thanks and have a great day

Chris

Sophie
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think the main problem is that the face is a little too long, it’s still a very good work and portraits are hard especially for beginners (I’m also one), I really like the hair, the eyes and her facial expression. I think you really nailed them. Maybe, you should try to take more mesurements with your pencil (proportion mesurements). I also don’t do this but since I have watched the Russian drawing course lesson about mesurements, I really understand that it can really benefits to our drawing. Plus, I think taking mesurements can train our eyes to be more observant.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.