First attempt at a portrait PLEASE PROVIDE CRITIQUE

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique First attempt at a portrait PLEASE PROVIDE CRITIQUE

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David West
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I haven’t put any final touches on this yet. This is my first attempt at a portrait.

I am new to painting and art. I started a few weeks into the pandemic and I am really enjoying. Please let me know your thoughts

Vermeer GWPE

Dominique DèveDominique Dève
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello,

i think you.d better choose a simple model to begin! A photo, someone you know… But Vermeer…

Francisco Frutuoso
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello David, im no master myself and i hope someone with more insight can offer you a better critic and judgment. But i will try my best from the few tools of understanding i have.

First of all if you are new to this subject and you want to paint portraits i would really suggest to focus a bit more on drawing, construction and anatomy of the face so you can then work your way to beatifull rendered portraits.

Regarding this painting in specific, if you really want to do something more, you can add details and some colours, have some fun and get used to the brushes and paints. Dont be afraid of doing something  different from the original. Like the previous user as said, Vermeer is a complex topic with a lot of information to absorb and replicate.

I hope i helped.

Sorry for my English, and keep working, it is very good when you feel your progress!. Good job!.

Dennis PostulaDennis Postula
    Participant
    No points.

This is outstanding for a first attempt at a portrait. Drapery is really difficult, observation is key.

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

David I think you did a great job especially for your first attempt! Bravo! As buffanut said, art is all in the observation. And, I think you observed Vermeer very well. You found his use of shadows and highlights, and the colors are very well done for your first try. Hope this gives you the encouragement to keep going! If you are a NMA member look at Glenn Vilpuu, Steve Huston, Chris Legaspi, Karl Gnass and Mark Westermore…all incredible instructors!

Kennedi Mallory
    Participant
    No points.

This is a really good first attempt!  I am also new to all of this, so I can’t give a super detailed critique, but I agree with Francisco with learning a bit more about anatomy just to be sure that everything is lining up properly.

I’m also glad that you are enjoying your journey! That is honestly the best part about art to me. 😀

David West
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you all for the feedback

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.