Figure Drawing Practice

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Figure Drawing Practice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Soon Kim Sim
    Participant
    No points.

I started on Steve Huston’s Figure Drawing course a while back and is now revising before I head into the long pose drawing demo. While I did practice drawing while doing the course, I stopped for 3 weeks due to..erm.. certain circumstances. Now I am back into it, I know there is a need for critique in order to improve and was rather resistant to the idea of posting at the start… Oh well, here I am~male_pose

female_pose

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey soon kim, great that you showed up share with us your drawings…

Your poses seem lifelike they look firm and you have nice proportions as well, good structure.

I don’t know your initial intention though,( I’m not familiar with Steve’s program).  it will be easier to give feedback if you let us know what was your initial intention, a specific aspect to critique would be great too.

However, i can give general and simple tips

• Your cast shadows could be more uniform leaving them simple with one .
    • -i could suggest leaving the food and hands,  super basic, don’t get into the details, unless is your intention.

• -get a distinct separation from dark to lights, i can see your that you  block-in the figure however  your dark section could be darker,  your core shadows as well.

I hope it helps.. keep with the good work ::)

Larissa Marantz
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

maybe instead of using pencil, use conte crayon or charcoal with a broad tip so that you don’t have hard edges as a contour line. The hard edges that you get from using a pencil cause the outline that turns your 3d forms flat. using a broad, soft tonal medium to gesture in your forms and then build your edges carefully, like in the compression areas of the lower back and the back of the leg in the top drawing of the male model.

Soon Kim Sim
    Participant
    No points.

@Carlos Perez For now I am just trying to capture the figure and gesture, and get the relevant values in, though I kinda lost the gesture focus halfway. After watching the long pose demo, I can see my dark values are indeed too light. Going to use darker pencils for those now and focus more on the figure.

@Larissa Marantz I didn’t spot the line problems until I took the photos and uploaded them, where I found them literally staring at me… I am stuck with the pencil for now until I head to the art store later in the week. For now I will use lighter pencils for the blocking in and be careful not to keep tracing the lines bac

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Cool, yeah I feel you sometimes I’m stuck with some materials, in my case until I have the money to buy some new ones.

Anyway, I’m with Larissa – using charcoal instead of the pencil will give you much richer darks and stuff and help you with those figures.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.