Figure composition inspired by a Rilke poem – please critique.

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Figure composition inspired by a Rilke poem – please critique.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Smudge
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone,

This figure composition was inspired by Rilke’s poem, ‘Go to the Limits of Your Longing’.

I would love some critique. Especially if you have any suggestions for the hands – I was trying to suggest them, but they never quite looked like hands.

Also, I really loved what Joseph Todorovitch said about showing the falling off of light. I was trying to think about this while was working on the values, but don’t feel I’ve nailed it.

Thanks!

Smudge composition

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Smudge.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Smudge.
    Dominique DèveDominique Dève
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work!

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What a stunning drawing! It’s very haunting. I don’t think I would change anything! As far as the hands, they’re a little more abstract and less constructed than the rest of the forms, but I think they work. If you don’t feel they’re complete, maybe you could add a little more detail on the kneeling figure. When I look closely, the two hands seem to merge into one form (which may be intentional). The thumb on the left hand of the standing form also seems a little large. But those are minor details in what is a very beautiful piece.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Smudge Amazing  ,what materials did you use  really incredible tonal range very subtle lovely rhythms curves composition

You have nailed it  it’s like you used falling light and  dust

Beautiful

I love Rilkes ” a bowl of Rose’s ”

Tim

Smudge
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@dominiquedeve Thanks!

@janstannard  Thanks very much for the feedback. You’re right, that thumb is too big. Will make some adjustments. 🙂

@ttwarner  Thanks for the encouragement. I primarily used Gioconda Chalk Pencil Light Sepia (I love this pencil so much), and built up the darks a bit more with some dark sepia. Then a bit of white chalk for the lightest lights.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Smudge.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.