Feedback on Gesture and Structure II!

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Feedback on Gesture and Structure II!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey guys these are two of my best latest figure drawings, I focused on creating long gesture lines and simple shapes for the body parts.

I’d like your opinion on the gesture and structure of them although your overall feedback is welcome. Thanks

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Carlos,

I’m no expert, but am currently working on similar themes, so am thinking about the same challenges at the moment. I love your figure on the left – the head shape is minimal but conveys all you need to know about where this figure is looking. I’m not so sure about the left shoulder though – if the arm was pulling through onto the knee like that, would the shoulder not be tucked under out of the way rather than sticking up? I also think the buttocks should stick out a bit to get a more exaggerated angle down the leg to the foot. Having said that I love your cross contours on the whole figure.

The figure on the right, looks like a lot of mine – I struggle to get the volume in the torso, and I think this guy is too flat… is the core shadow just too close to the edge perhaps? I love your trailing arm and how you have shaded that, it really captures the shape. As you have the light coming in from the left, should the back leg not be in shadow too?

Sorry, I think I have given your more questions than answers, but I am still feeling my way through all this too.

Hope it helps a bit. Jo

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Jo,  thanks for your feedback,  and comments, yeah it seems i have to use more structure to create volume and use the shadow shapes to follow those forms. I suppose that back leg was in shadow but I forget to shadow it.

Koen Rutten
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Carlos!

As you were kind enough to give me your feedback I thought I’d thought I’d return the favor. I can’t really speak to your abstract work but hopefully some of the below will help you with your figure drawing.

1. Perspective. I don’t have the reference number but I figure that if the model is resting on his left arm, the torso would be tilted to the left. However this doesn’t square with the position of the right shoulder in your drawing. With these complicated poses, it might be helpful to use a box shape rather than a sphere to clarify alignment

2. Contrast curves with straights to add dynamism and flow to your gesture.

3. Use wrapping lines sparingly! Focusing on communicating alignment in space. Connection points are natural places to put these wrapping lines. Drawing through the form helps with placing wrapping lines correctly.

4. Use straight or curved wrapping lines to indicate whether the volumes are cylindrical or box shaped.

5. Emphasize anatomical landmarks like the asis, 7th verbetra of the neck, spine etc

On the whole, slowing down, focusing on design, place,ent, proportion and line quality will help a lot. Speed will then come naturally.

Hope that helped, keep it up!

Koen

Traceover

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Lovely and well structured feedback Koen, Thanks a lot. ::)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.