Male nude figure drawing . feedback and criticism would be appreciated.

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Male nude figure drawing . feedback and criticism would be appreciated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sourav ChakrabortySourav Chakraborty
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Figure drawing from a model photo focusing on back anatomy and rendering.

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful drawing very subtle shadinnice twisting gesture

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you,Tim !

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

🙏

Leo DiFraiaLeo DiFraia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Sourav,

The drawing has some lovely elements. I especially enjoy the hair curls and the quirkiness of the bandaid on the triceps. The line work adds some nice rhythms to the right arm accenting the bones and overlapping muscles. The highlights on the gluteus medius, great trochanter and the right trapezius as it snakes down between the spine and scapula work nicely but could have been added in other places as well.

Things I would want you to watch out for are:

Overall proportion of pelvis to back (pelvis feels a little small)

The sharp/dark line running along the spine that tends to flatten out the whole back – it works as an outline. It doesn’t need to be so dark or sharp to do the work.

The plane of the back seems rather flat in fact also because there is no indication of the curvature in terms of light. I don’t know what reference you used, but light diminishes in intensity as it moves away from the light source – the inverse square law. At present, the top of the trapezius is darker than the pelvis. An uncommon situation in most lighting setups.

Similarly, the right side triceps is a slightly horizontal surface which would catch more light than the vertical lower arm.

Finally, there is not a sense that the scapula are on different planes (right arm turning back toward us vs. the left arm relaxed forward) other than the shapes you’ve drawn. Value would serve here as well.

I hope that helps you in the future.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much for the detailed critique, Leo.

It’s very helpful. I will keep these points in mind. Rendering is my weakness since I have just started to focus on it and these points you mentioned will help me greatly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.