Drew’s 100 Day Art Challenge: The Human Body (Figure Drawing)

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Drew’s 100 Day Art Challenge: The Human Body (Figure Drawing)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Drew Art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1:

Challenge: My goal is to learn what makes the human body feel, “alive.” I will do so by drawing the human body, primarily ensuring that I draw the torso for most of the time. The secondary goal is to consider the placement of the arms and legs (if included). Hands, feet, and the head and not my concern for this challenge as I intended to illustrate those parts of the body as a separate goal later this year.

Why: While I am familiar why drawing the human body I’ve lost my some skill due to not making an effort to try harder at examining what makes the body look the way it does. I hope that by the end to this challenge I can draw the human body without immediately needing reference material.

Medium/Material: these are the primary materials as follows;

• Highlighters (yellow, green, blue, pink, violet, and orange)
    • A basic mechanical pencil or watercolor color pencil
    • A medium sharpie pen or pilot G2 0.38 fine pen
    • 18×24 mixed media sketchbook

Note: I like to use higherlighters to “color” in my pose once I’ve drawn it with my pencil. The reason for this is twofold; one because it makes the sketches a little more interesting instead of being just as white as the page and two, it makes it easier on my brain to recall if I already drew a certain pose just by remembering the color I did it in (this prevents me from repeating the same thing twice).

Personal Note: I’ve been creating art for almost 24 years of my life since I could hold a crayon (I am turning 25 in a month). I hope that I can relearn and commit to this goal without failing. It’s been a long time since I started a project and then finished.

*P.S. this first photo was technically meant to be posted on Saturday the 2nd but I have been a little busy. I hope it’s not “cheating” if I post more than once today.

Poses 1-8, mostly female bodies. Any pose I find I practice so nothing I've drawn is original except the use of highlighter

<!–more–>

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No points.

Nice start! And nice touch with the colors, the whole page feels like a composition

I’m just starting my challenge as well, so I’ll keep an eye on yours for inspiration

Drew Art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2: “Lucky Number 13”

So I’m actually doubling up (technically tripling) today to post my progress with where it’s going. So far I feel comfortable with my challenge as it is not intimidating but doesn’t feel too easy either; it kind of feel like it’s somewhere in between. Anywho this is my work from Sunday, January 3rd. 

Note: When I listed the materials I am using I should’ve looked at the actually dimensions of my sketchbook. Its actually an 11×14, not a 18×24. Despite this little error it does feel kinda unnatural to draw with such a large scale since I’m accustomed to having nothing bigger than a 9×12 sketchbook.

So, quick overview of my work.

1. There are 13 figure poses drawn on this page unlike the first (which had only 8). This is due to sinking the size I draw and using up as much space as possible.
    2. I’m not trying to draw hands, feet, nor the head/face since they are not my focus. However I do find that I am adding just a little more with every drawing.
    3. I switch back and forth between nude and not nude. Can’t quite decide on how to go about which I prefer but I do try to focus on the body regardless of what I do
    4. You might find that some one these have the label “[Study Guide].” Its sort of a footnote for me if I like what I see and feel it could be drawn in detail later on a different challenge.
    5. Pose 16 is the dark due to using both the blue and violet highlighter. I didn’t mean for it to get that way, I just wanted it to look cool.
    6. I like adding titles to my post. Makes it feel thematic.

Drew Art
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3: “Complimentary Pairs”

Alright, so with this post I am caught up with my challenge. The reason for the title is because every drawing (from left to right) is like a pair to one another. I did my best to draw more men this time around and noted the following:

1. I got more comfortable drawing details like faces to get a particular “feel.” I also tried to get a little bold with the hands and feet.
    2. Most of the draw are about equal size to each other on the page.
    3. Although these figures are mostly “thin and lean” I am getting a bit more experimental with other weight categories and body types.
    4. Pose No. 29 is the first time I’ve ever drawn a midget. I actually did so because I don’t really see any gesture drawings or figures studies of dwarfs or midgets. I enjoy a wide range of odd and peculiar human beings.
    5. While I don’t intend to squeeze this many figure studies onto one page everyday I will say my minimum is at least 9 figures this point moving forward. The maximum largely depends on how small I scale everything.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.