Drawing rebirth – hello from the UK!

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Start Here: Introduce Yourself! Drawing rebirth – hello from the UK!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Louise Watts
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all,

I’m Louise and this is my second stint on NMA but I’ve never used the forums as always forget they’re there!

Mid 2018, I took up drawing again having never really drawn since school and at 40 this year, I’m trying to hit it hard to make up for lost time. I predominantly draw in ink (and I’m learning a bit of gouache on the side) but having done a month-long inking course with the Watts Atelier, I realised just how much of the fundamentals I don’t know!

I’m mainly looking to draw animals and nature – sometimes more scientific, other times more fantastical – eventually I’d like to create more “weird nature” scenes when I have the skillset to render things I imagine.

One thing I can really struggle with is having a structured learning plan – I’m currently learning human anatomy but I can often end up doubting myself in terms of whether I’m putting energy into the right things…but with that said, I’m trying to follow my intuition. There really is so much to learn, sometimes it can feel so overwhelming, but I can already see improvements since last year which is great! Already the classes on NMA this year have helped a lot.

Nice to meet you all 🙂

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Welcome to the community. Practicing drawing form, perspective, human and animal anatomy and composition will never be the “wrong” thing. The important thing is to try to be consistent. Sometimes when things get hard we convince ourselves to change directions in our study not because it’s good for our development but because we are feeling frustrated. So try to be objective with yourself. Also the more you share your work here on the community the more useful feedback you will get. 🙏🏼

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.