Dimitri’s 100 Days Challenge: Heads and Hands

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Dimitri’s 100 Days Challenge: Heads and Hands

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Well, this is my first 100 days challenge, and I am really excited to share my art with the NMA community.

My goal is to improve my understanding of the human head and hand form and anatomy and to be able to construct these forms from imagination from various angles. I will draw mainly on laid paper, using pencils (B, 2B, 4B, 6B), pen (0.05, 0.2, 0.4, 0.8). charcoal and charcoal pencil. All drawings should be finished in 15-45 minutes.

I’ll start with a face drawing I made yesterday, so technically I am already on day #2… So stay tuned for my next post! 😀

So,

Day 1: Full face drawing of a middle age woman

Day #1: Full face drawing of a middle age woman

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 2:

A profile drawing of a male head. As in the previous post, I have been using a 4B pencil and no references.

por 1

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR.
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Welcome to the challenge!  Looks like you are doing great with your proportions.  The hat looks really good too.  To help you reach your goal of drawing heads from imagination, you will need to learn the planes of the head and the skull.  There are several different lecture series covering this on NMA from several different instructors.  I really enjoyed Chris Legaspi’s head drawing series, Charles Hu’s head construction, as well as Steve Houston and Glenn Vilpuu’s.  The Russian Drawing series in excellent for more advanced study.  There is a ton of information on NMA, just dive in and get drawing!!

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you @erkdennes! I already participate in the “Head Drawing for Beginners” course with an intention to move on with the “Constructive Head Drawing” right after… But I will keep an eye on the other courses you suggested as well! 🙂

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3:

First attempt to draw an Asaro’s head. I used a pencil  (B) and then drew again the lines of the head’s planes with a 0.05 pen.

asaro's head 1

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4:

Did the Asaro’s head again, this time from a profile view. I wasn’t very satisfied with the result of marking the edges with a pen over the initial sketch so this time I just used a darker pencil for the same job.

++In yesterday’s post, I had obviously forgotten to draw a couple of lines. There are other mistakes as well, but this was easily correctable, so I fixed them. I have attached the corrected version along with today’s drawing.

asaros 1 again

asaros 2

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5

Today I did six 5-minute portraits from the assignment of Steve Huston’s lesson “intermediate Head Construction”. I repeated the first drawing twice since I was not very satisfied with the result. I used a 2B pencil for the first drawing and 6B for the rest.

5 min portraits

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6:

So today I tried something a little bit different: A composition of a bust and a few mundane objects. I am not very satisfied with the result, but it took me much longer (almost three hours actually), so I had to stop somewhere… I’m also very happy about using different materials! Charcoal and white chalk on cardboard instead of paper.

bust alexander

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7

I didn’t work on anything special on day 7. Here are some drawings I did from the “Introduction to the structure of the hand” lesson.hand bones structure

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8:

Today I did a little study on the famous Dürer’s drawing of praying hands (also known as “Study of the Hands of an Apostle”). I used two pencils (2B and 6B) to manage different values.

durer hands

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9:

Another study of hands (B & 2B pencil on paper)

no face hands study 1

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10:

A very similar subject:

hands no face 2

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11:

Today I drew something a little different. A kiss (still depicting heads and hands). Sadly I don’t remember where I got my reference from…

Red posca marker and pen (black 0.2 & 0.8) on paper.

kiss

Mirian LindgrenMirian Lindgren
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

cool 👍

DIMITRIs GRDIMITRIs GR
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11:

I used a 3B  pencil for this one.

sculpture 1a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.