Digital art – color and composition critique, please

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Digital art – color and composition critique, please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello! This is a somewhat color saturated self portait that I just finished. I have been trying to insert more intersting colors into my art, instead of just using what I see at first glance. I would love to hear what people think. I really like the plummy colors in the face, but I feel like the hair might be missing something. I am also pretty happy with the composition, but if you have anything to critique, I am always willing to listen. Thank you!

NicBritt
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Annie, nice! I like the composition too, and also think the colours are interesting. For my 2 cents: i think the hair is missing something too and i think its light and shadow modelling – it seems to be mostly ‘local’ colour – ie. not following the window light (i wouldve expected the hair nearer the window to be lighter and shadow side darker. perhaps the far edge of the forehead is  little hard – perhaps it could be softened??  I also am not sure that the the values in the shadow (her left eye)  side eye socket are quite right: perhaps the socket and highlight darker?

but really i’m impressed as i don’t have much luck with digital. what software are you using? ive tried procreate but it always ends up a little cartoony or ‘hard’ edged.

Annie Survis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Nic. This was made using ArtRage on my tablet. I like the program, but I’m running into some problems just because I’m not using a desk top version. In general, I think it’s a good program so far, but I’m new!

I think you’re right about the hair needing more light and shadow. It’s funny the things we have a hard time seeing in our own work. You’re also probably right about threat eye socket, it’s distracting. I’ll have a harder time changing that, because I feel like it adds to the nervous look on the face. But! Maybe I can find another way to bring that out. Thank you fur your critique!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.