Daniel’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Daniel’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Figure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

The challenge: At least 20 minutes of NMA instruction on figure drawing and 2 figure sketches with graphite on newsprint.

Why? To improve light and shadow (value) issues.

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

First day. One of the two figures.

This one is a quick sketch trying to figure out what is in light and what is in shadow, where are the darkest projected shadows and so on.

Help!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work!

1. The shadow areas will group more easily if you don’t use such a sketchy line. A more flat even tone would be a better starting point there.

2. You have the separation between light and shadow but there’s no core shadow. Try adding that in (not on the cast shadows).

3. The relative darknesses of your shadow areas don’t make sense to me. Why is the upper right shoulder shadow area so much darker than left? There should be a more obvious logic there.

4. Put your cast shadow on the floor in. Also put some environment in there. If you’re dealing with value having a background is important because a toned figure against a white background will always look unnatural and it can be harder to diagnose issues.

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

Oh, Joshua, you don’t know how much I apreciate your advice.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the second picture. I have taken up drawing a bit less than 3 months so I don’t know if I can critique this. However looking at the lower right I don’t understand the form clearly. Perhaps the shadow on the edge is too dark? However, it being confusing adds a certain surreal vibe to it, which is interesting, don’t know if that was the aim. 🙂

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

That’s better! Take a look at how Mark Westermoe teaches in his courses. In both our Reilly method (illustration drawing) and Sight-Sight courses, the object is broken into two families, light and shadow and the shadow side is filled in totally with a flat even tone. Then darks are adding into that and then half-tones (darks in the light family) are added in. I think that this is a very logical way to work and will help you if you haven’t already looked at it.

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

Shazad, every viewer can do a valid critic because a drawing tries to explain somethig. If you find any part of the drawing confusing that’s because I failed big time whith it.

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

Ok, Ok, This is the third day in the challenge and it has yet evolved in something different but with the same objetive.

Following Joshua advice I’ve started Mr Westermoe 10 week program on figure drawing.

Somehow that is going to assure the completion of the first part of the challenge (at least 20 minutes of NMA training) but it hurts the second part. I’m not going to be able to draw two figures a day.

Today I have learned somethig really important: Don’t rush.

And this below is my (incompleted) work. I rushed. But there are 97 days ahead for improvement.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Mark is fantastic for teaching how to develop your shadow shapes and how to keep them reading clearly and consitently. Your drawings are good! I have an issue of rushing as well, or I go way too slow. We’ll get there, just need practice and mileage 🙂 Let us know how the figure course comes along. I’ve done the head drawing section for the Reily method, going to do the figure section after I finish Gnass’ spirit of the pose.

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

Hey, folks.

I’m still in the challenge but I have not feeling like posting.

I completed the two first weeks of Mark’s course. I’ve been drawing along with him the first pose.

I’ve just completed the first approach to the second reference image but in this case I’ve done it in advance and now I´m going to see what Mark do with it (and probably get depressed and swear I’m never going to take a pencil again).

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

I haven’t felt like posting.

Sorry for my poor english

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.