Creating a Plan for Color Temperature

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Creating a Plan for Color Temperature

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this comprehensive lesson with instructor and color expert Bill Perkins, you will learn how to work with warm and cool colors in your paintings in a clear and easy-to-understand way.

You will learn that temperature applies not only to a color or group of colors as a whole but also is used to describe the relationship between colors. Bill will demonstrate these concepts in his usual clear and accessible style, starting off the lesson with a lecture on color temperature and a breakdown of how color temperature is used in several artists’ works.

Bill will then move on to two painting demonstrations from model references, illustrating a different approach to color temperature in each painting.

Materials

• Faber-Castell 9000 Pencil
    • Gamblin Artists Grade Oil Paint
    • Hogs Hair Bristle Brushes – Filberts
    • Gamsol Oderless Mineral Spirits
    • Silicoil Brush Cleaning Tank
    • Palette Paper
    • Canvas Panel
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

This video along with some of Steve Huston’s painting videos have really helped me understand what to look for in terms of color temperature and color relationships in portraiture.  1000 Thumbs up.

An exercise that I did that really helped me was to work digitally from a photograph just painting on top of the image.  That way I could focus only on the effect of color temperature on the image and not have to worry about all of the other painting problems: mixing, placement, edges, shape, etc.  I de-saturated my source image, and posterized it into 4 value zones.  Then I used the paint bucket tool to give a flat color to each of my zones, keeping the value the same.  From there, I could use a paint brush to manipulate color temperature and saturation within each of the zones, keeping the value the same, and seeing what effect that had on the image.

After doing this, I painted the portrait using traditional paints and it was much easier to focus on the color relationships and color temperatures because I had already done that digitally, and knew exactly what I wanted to put down.   I suppose that is what a small thumbnail is for, but the above exercise allowed me to experiment a lot and see the effect immediately, which really solidified the concepts in my mind.

VERY helpful.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

YvonneMo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Does anyone know what kind of Orange Bill uses? I might have missed it but can’t seem to replay it enough to figure it out. Thank you!

Vlad Levitsky
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Cadmium orange

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.