Composition for Visual Artists | Week 2: Notan and Chiaroscuro

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Composition for Visual Artists with Bill Perkins Composition for Visual Artists | Week 2: Notan and Chiaroscuro

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

We are pleased to share with you a 10-week long class brought to you by Art Mentors! In this class, renowned Disney art director and instructor, Bill Perkins, will teach Composition for Artists. This class will comprehensively break down the fundamentals of design and artistic composition. You will learn how to gain a better understanding of art as a language in order to excavate more meaning in your own work. In this second lesson, Bill will focus on Notan and Chiaroscuro, and how you can change modes between the two in order to move the viewer’s eye and create areas of interest.

Materials

• General’s Charcoal Pencil
    • CarbOthello Pencil – Burnt Sienna
    • Letraset Marker Paper
    • Tracing Paper
    dmbokal
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Does anyone have any information about the paintings on page 7 of the reference guide?

Andres CabanosAndres Cabanos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I understood that line should not describe from. But is a constructive figure drawing meaning using simple spheres and cylinders considered a line drawing?

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I would like to ask whether the Week 2 and 3 PDF documents can be reuploaded or fixed? They are the notes that go along with the course in the references section. I’ve tried to download them but they don’t seem to load past the first two pages.

Thanks.

abid
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hi

why can’t i download week 2  pdf ?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by abid.
    Karolina Pawlak
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Trying to do the exercise and distinguish between the three line/form/mass… the line is clear but then I’m struggling with the other two especially in more form dominant paintings I don’t know where to block in the mass. I look at paintings full of chiaroscuro, for example The Taking of Christ by Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio and I clearly see the line and the form ( the light source is clear and I colour in the darks black and light leave white). But then the mass.. the subjects have clothing and armour which is clearly dark in value but has areas of light bouncing off them. Do I colour them in black or white ? And it’s quite a dark value painting in general with the faces being the main lighter value so is that all I leave white ?? Any help appreciated.

Romel MadrayRomel Madray
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Anyone know where I can find the notes used by Bill Perkins. I am looking for the links for Week 3 and beyond to read, rather than having to pull up the videos.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.