Completing Your Still Life Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Completing Your Still Life Drawing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, you will learn from instructor Heather Lenefski how to create 3-value compositional thumbnails for your still life drawing. You will use your understanding of light, shadow, and form to develop and refine your artwork.

This lesson belongs to the course The Beginner’s Guide to Drawing. It is a 12-week course designed to empower new students with a structured approach for learning how to draw. Join instructors Steve Huston, Chris Legaspi, Heather Lenefski, Bill Perkins, and Mark Westermoe as you learn the fundamentals of perspective, rendering, and composition. After completing this course, you will develop a solid foundation in drawing.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Ingrid Van Wauwe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Complete your still life drawing Still life with charcoal
    <!–more–>

Phoebe WagnerPhoebe Wagner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Not sure how to post drawings…No instructions on this. But here is a link to mine, I think…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fu5vxamvbi628y8/IMG_4221.jpeg?dl=0

I had trouble following the instructor’s directions, which were few. It was mostly her verbalizing her process but not really teaching viewers what to do. So I did my own  drawing instead.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

skull still life drawing

Participant
    No badges. No points.

skull drawing

Gianluca Tutino
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gianluca Tutino
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Melissa Augusta
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great fun

Alexander Alexis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Like Phoebe said, no real instruction on how to do the final assignment, i.e. how to draw accurately from life, so it turned out ridiculous. But I liked the results of the post-it notes assignment, it’s a very nice way of exploring possible compositions.

assignment1

assignment2

Robin MauriceRobin Maurice
    Participant
    No points.

Hi !

Loved the thumbnail exercises. I liked the fact that it pushed to not pay attention to detail and instead first get an idea of the whole picture. I think as beginners we tend to focus too much on the detail right off the bat. Really cool exercise and it nice to be working with markers. What’s funny is that some times I was drawing thumbnails of the thumbnails on a smaller post it :::::::))))))))

Now the actual drawing, it TOUGH ! I suck with charcoal, conté have no idea about the difference between them and how to use them. I ended up smearing the whole thing. Also drapery and clothing is so hard to draw ! I do wish sometimes the lesson contained more instructions, like literally ‘take a 2B, do this.’ There were times I felt a bit lost and guessing what I had to do. I wish it’d been a bit clearer. Anyway, really enjoyed that and off to the next lesson.

Robin

<!–more–><!–more–>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.