Classical here in the UK

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Start Here: Introduce Yourself! Classical here in the UK

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sean FrancisSean Francis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all,

I’m a 40 year old ex tattoo artist now work towards a masters degree in fine art.

I’ve had a life long obsession with classical, neo-classical & baroque sculpture, and more recently Russian academic drawing.  The later was introduced to me through NMA free YouTube videos 🙂 I enjoy clay sculpture and traditional pencil work, looking forward to learning more and hopefully meeting peers 👍

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Sean

I started learning in July 2020 , sounds like you already have a degree  , what’s the emphasis of Russian academic ? (not that I am ready ) .I am serious about drawing  and feel feedback critique is really helpful and just sharing Ideas might see your work on the forum sometime .

Kind regards

Tim

Lewis HoughtonLewis Houghton
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Sean, welcome! I’m a newbe here too also from the UK. Thats really cool you were a tattoo artist, how come you stoped? I’ve always wanted a tattoo but was always too sacred to commit haha

Sean FrancisSean Francis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the welcome note

In regards to the Russian academic style, I find it visual stunning and it’s manner of capture especially through life drawing is of its own class. Being that it’s instantly recognisable from other forms of drawing…well I think so ha 🙂

Sean FrancisSean Francis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Lewis,

Thank you for the welcome reply.

I stopped tattooing when I lost my shop due to of all things a roof failure ha, and other factors played a part like the pressure I’d put myself through if work wasn’t 100% how I’d want it to look,especially since the style I practiced was basically classical or baroque statue themed, so if it’s wasn’t as good as I felt it could be, I’d carry around in my head until it finally got me down too often.

I much prefer study of classical art forms now a days. 🙂

I still tattoo now and then but from my private studio attached to my home.

Cheers 👍

Lewis HoughtonLewis Houghton
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

ahh fair enough, sorry to hear about the roof, but it sounds like you are in a really great place now! would love a little art studio attached to my house, thats the dream. its nice you can take on work when you want and work from home!

what classes are you starting off with?

jessntheravenjessntheraven
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Sean, I’m also from the UK. Interesting to hear about your background in tattooing, classical style tattoos are awesome. I love the nma exactly for its focus on the classics. Enjoy!

Sean FrancisSean Francis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Lewis

As I mainly work in clay I’m doing the “Drawing in space” program with Robert Bodem.

I’ll also be doing the Russian Drapery drawing study course

Hope you’re doing well here also 👍

Sean FrancisSean Francis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jessica

Yes it’s frankly amazing to me that a platform to study under this rare niche is actually available today 🙂 I’m loving it so far, good luck with your studies also 👊

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.