Charcoal Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Charcoal Portrait

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    paolo_fabregas
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve been inhaling Steve Huston’s charcoal classes. As well as Chris Legazpi’s classes as well. I didn’t think that I could really enjoy watching someone else draw. Would love to hear your feedback, my fellow New Masters Students!

Dpraseuth316
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This looks great! Possibly posting the reference image with your drawing would help with critiquing.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work.

We use lines as design elements (as you do nicely), but primarily they describe changes in 3d forms. When you are drawing these lines try to imagine them moving in a three dimensional environment, wrapping over and across 3d form and not just as flat marks.

paolo_fabregas
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks, Joshua! Will be more conscious of that next time. I remember Steve Huston curving the charcoal around the figure as he makes his lines around figure. I need to remember to take my time doing that.

Paula Simoes
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice! I like this….a lot

brian rivera
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I recall this reference in the images… you’ve captured the form and shadows. Keep up with it  Take your time… find more shadows and dont be afraid of spreading an even layer to help with your rendering and gradiations

Jeff VehigeJeff Vehige
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is great work!

paolo_fabregas
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you! Will work on it. It’s way too blonde now. I should’ve pushed the mid-tone values on the flesh a little more to bring out the highlights along the zygomatic and inner part eye socket between the nasal bone and the eye. (I’m sure that has a name.)

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful what lovely flow and line very brave .

Kind regards

Tim

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Lovely work!the composition reflects so much of  elegance and grace-i also like the way you joined the large shadows maintaining the tonal gradation.

Hope to see more of your work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.